RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hello fellows. Yesterday i went to a local store near the farm to see if they sold HDD to replace the one i dropped (great move, huh Roboman!), and i ended up talking to the store manager, who was something like a IT semi-guy. I told him and showed him i had a Nexus 6P, but that i was trying to buy the New Google Pixel. Here started the discussion, since he told me to forget about the Pixel and buy an iPhone. His reasons were:

-you have no lag
-no security breaches
-no app crashes
-stability

I told him i have no lag actually on my 6P nor anybody with a premium Android device does. Of course an old Android phone say Galaxy S3 will lag, as well as an iPhone 4 (pretty sure, never had one haha). Security breaches exist on all operating system, desktop, mobile, anything. Android is more targeted though because it is more popular, right?

Now i told him no Android or iPhones are actual 100% stable. Windows-based Mobile OS was the one i mentioned as the most stable, to what he said: "Windows Phone suck. Don't buy one".

Well i left very unhappy with his arguments (lol), and i'm here to ask you guys what do you think about when buying a new phone according to the OS. Take into account this is not a "what mobile os is the best", but more than "what do you choose and what do you take into account when choosing a mobile os". And what do you think about this guy's statements. :)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
lets get a few things out of the way:

Android based: depends what manufacturer phone you go for, all of them are either slightly customized or heavily customized.
what separates Android from the rest is 2 things: Playstore and up to a certain extend user customization and freedom.

Apple: U will not have access to external memory, hardware is good but you are paying for it. Also, has a decent store but lacks possibility of customization.

Windows: Ok first thing first: when have you ever seen a phone with 3G/WIFI on, constant usage of whatsapp etc and still have over 1 and a half day battery?Lumia phones have that. Windows phones have a well balace hardware and cost. Its software is fully optimized for performance and battery life. Eye candy however is limited but then again...Stability over eye candy.

Things to note: Windows store is the smallest compared to the 3.

take your pick.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
lets get a few things out of the way:

Android based: depends what manufacturer phone you go for, all of them are either slightly customized or heavily customized.
what separates Android from the rest is 2 things: Playstore and up to a certain extend user customization and freedom.

Apple: U will not have access to external memory, hardware is good but you are paying for it. Also, has a decent store but lacks possibility of customization.

Windows: Ok first thing first: when have you ever seen a phone with 3G/WIFI on, constant usage of whatsapp etc and still have over 1 and a half day battery?Lumia phones have that. Windows phones have a well balace hardware and cost. Its software is fully optimized for performance and battery life. Eye candy however is limited but then again...Stability over eye candy.

Things to note: Windows store is the smallest compared to the 3.

take your pick.
explained perfectly

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well its really hard to say. I'm a windows Phone user and its been good improvements since the Windows 10 Mobile has bee available. As @Soulweave stated, the battery performance and stability is exceptional, but not much of customization and you will get bored when you dont see much apps for your phone. I feel the same way now because no Amazon for Windows Phone and lacks many popular apps which I want to use. So my thoughts is iPhone. Yes iPhone meets your requirement now. Stability, Protection and Performance is met by it since the 6s versions. But you know, Android is the King of all :)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Windows phone user here.
If you are using many apps forget Windows phone go to android.
And @RoboMan as you said your self premium android phones are very good.
@Soulweave explained it very good.
If you don't use many apps and you want a premium Windows Phone then you should take a look at WP 950 and 950 XL.
Very goods specs at a good price;)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I myself didnt use many apps on Android or iPhone.

On Android, it was mainly launchers and some further Quality of Life tools.
On iPhone, same as Android minus launchers
On Windows Phone: pre-W10, music player. On W10: none really as the phone has by default all that I need (ok Whatsapp doesnt count).

I need a phone to browse the Internet, Whatsapp, SMS and Calls. thats all to it.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I once thought it was a good idea for project to try to run a mobile OS in VirtualBox ?
But it wasn't ; it was a lot of effort with amazingly little success !
I got Android to work but it was definitely not happy .

Has anyone else tried ?

Reactions: RoboMan

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I once thought it was a good idea for project to try to run a mobile OS in VirtualBox ?
But it wasn't ; it was a lot of effort with amazingly little success !
I got Android to work but it was definitely not happy .

Has anyone else tried ?
Yes. Nothing special. It is good to know new builds before you actually update the OS.
For example, when Android 5.0 was launched, it was buggy. Needless to say most manufacturers pushed 5.0.1 not long after.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

I like Android overall, Nexus...Google phones...vanilla Android & upgrades, etc...

MT should have giveaway of Android/iOS/Windows phone, what you guys say;):)

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Newer models of Iphones like 5 and above have decent specifications so the stability of performance has the edge.

Apple has the control on their models since it's the only one valid manufacturer. Another thing I like for Apple is update support where can last like 4 years compare to Android One (2 years only).

Android in a larger picture,the OS is indeed nice however I don't like where some manufacturers implemented some unnecessary 3rd party tools.

My Firefly Mobile Aurii Envy is near on a fresh stack Rom of Google which in short; no bundled programs. Very fast and reliable because of decent specifications.

Windows Phone is more on basic stuff but capable for minimal needs.

Yesthe hardware specifications including battery are in excellent condition.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.