The End of Android?

voyes

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Dec 26, 2018
Android could be replaced with a new mobile operating system that Google are working on right now, according to shock new claims.

Android is one of the most used pieces of software in the world.
It's Marketing Procentual is 85%.
So so You think the new Fuchsia will replace Android? btw it's an awful Name For an Operating System.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Android OS isn't insecure. The issue is late and short term updates, insufficient controls of apps inside Playstore. And allowing to install apps outside store easily, which isn't a problem and something I want OS to have but there are too many happy clickers. While in iOS they make it difficult to install apps outside store which protects happy clickers from themselves.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Android OS isn't insecure. The issue is late and short term updates, insufficient controls of apps inside Playstore. And allowing to install apps outside store easily, which isn't a problem and something I want OS to have but there are too many happy clickers. While in iOS they make it difficult to install apps outside store which protects happy clickers from themselves.

I agree!

IMO another issue with Android is that the ecosystem is too fragmented. Too many different versions, each handset maker does their own thing when it comes to the UI and apps that you cannot remove. I really wish that it would be more consistent and that the updates would be more frequent. It really is the "Windows" of the mobile space. While I like the variety and flexibility Android offers, I would be happy to lose some of that to make things like the Playstore more secure and to have a more consistent experience across devices.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I know I live in a different world than many other people, but I don't want consistency across devices. I use a W10 pc, an iPad and a low-end Samsung Android phone (for phone, email and messaging only, stripped as much as possible ). In my mind, it's a kind of security though compartmentalization. I don't and won't do all things on every device. But for those who want it, maybe this will be the next best thing since sliced bread! All kneel before the Gods of Google! :)

Predrag Radjenovic

Level 2
Verified
Apr 16, 2016

I don't necessarily agree with that approach. Better store control - yes please. But further locking down of devices because of the happy clickers - well, screw that. That is just a convenient excuse companies make to avoid doing harder and more expensive work. And also, not wanting users to have too much choice of what is served to them, but that's another topic...

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
there are too many happy clickers. While in iOS they make it difficult to install apps outside store which protects happy clickers from themselves.
Google Play have a specific setting that warns on outside app sources. Not enabled by default on my phone and not sure if that's the case with all vendors.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Google Play have a specific setting that warns on outside app sources. Not enabled by default on my phone and not sure if that's the case with all vendors.
I believe this was new addition to Android Oreo. To install an APK from outside the Google Play, you need to explicitiy allow permission per App.

More Info: Making it safer to get apps on Android O

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Hope Google will get their butt together to develop a secure OS like Apple IOS.

iOS is actually one of the least secure, and most infiltrated operating systems. If you have any illusion of security with iOS, I will be happy to shatter that myth. Android, at the least, if kept updated, and utilizing third party tools, offers some level of security anonymity depending, such as replacing core system apps like SMS with something like Signal, etc. Which you can't even do on iOS. (but I don't consider either, out of the box, to be secure in any great form, iOS or otherwise)

PS: Android Oreo, etc. defaults to blocking all non-store apps by default, In addition, it blocks all apps from installing things themselves in the background. For example unless you explicitly allow it, even your browser can't launch the package installer.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
iOS is actually one of the least secure, and most infiltrated operating systems. If you have any illusion of security with iOS, I will be happy to shatter that myth. Android, at the least, if kept updated, and utilizing third party tools, offers some level of security anonymity depending, such as replacing core system apps like SMS with something like Signal, etc. Which you can't even do on iOS. (but I don't consider either, out of the box, to be secure in any great form, iOS or otherwise)

PS: Android Oreo, etc. defaults to blocking all non-store apps by default, In addition, it blocks all apps from installing things themselves in the background. For example unless you explicitly allow it, even your browser can't launch the package installer.
While I don't doubt you, I'd like some elaboration as I'm making the switch from Android to iOS and security, privacy and 5 years of updates are some of the biggest factors.

Reactions: upnorth
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

While I don't doubt you, I'd like some elaboration as I'm making the switch from Android to iOS and security, privacy and 5 years of updates are some of the biggest factors.

At the onset, you'll find less options with iOS for individual security applications and/or replacing core applications. For example SMS is really a bad thing to use, it's in plain text, your ISP, Govt.(depending) and Carrier all store your entire SMS history. This is why it is recommended to replace your core SMS with something like Signal. Android also allows you to utilize a wide array of third party adblockers, encryption tools, encrypted apps, VPN's and security products while iOS limits or in some cases completely eliminates those from your availability.

iOS is used by a huge subset of high priority targets (mostly in USA) So there are off-the-shelf bypasses available for it, and not just from Cellebrite, Graykey or Drivesavers. iOS has had a string of 'strange' bypasses that in my view shouldn't have ever passed Q&A at Apple and I feel are suspicious, like the pin-code bypass from a few months ago. If you talk to folks in forensics most will tell you a 'properly' setup Android is a major pain compared to iOS devices, and 'properly' has to be stressed.

However in all fairness, Apple does seem quite proactive in attempting to thwart such things, good on them. Also in all fairness there shouldn't be any illusions of great security in any mobile device at all IMO. However the closest we can get may be iOS's SOS Mode, hitting the power button 5 times in a row rapidly if you are about to lose control of your device effectively eliminates all potential foresensics on the device. I wish Android had that built in, but you are going to have to utilize a third party app to do that on Android. (and there are plenty available)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
At the onset, you'll find less options with iOS for individual security applications and/or replacing core applications. For example SMS is really a bad thing to use, it's in plain text, your ISP, Govt.(depending) and Carrier all store your entire SMS history.

iOS is the better security model overall, as it is effectively a default-deny solution.

That does not make it immune to attacks as Sly points out..

But the 'where you are' is a large factor in cell security / privacy.

Countries don't need to hack into your cell phone... they can set policies that dictate that any cell operator in the country must allow access.

So they are not hacking in... they are already "in"...

As you might imagine, cell carriers and governments don't really talk about this...

Some countries do broad sweeping collection from cell devices. Some only target people of interest. Some do no collection at all. Some put code on your phone. It's sometimes surprising who is collecting on us.... and who is not. Some countries are very careful to only use collected data for law enforcement or intelligence purposes. Some are sloppy... and who knows who could be 'in your phone.' You will not find a list anywhere that gives you info on how intrusive different countries are.... as it is closely held information.

Cell security and privacy is great.... but to some degree, you have to be realistic that your device will never be an iron-clad secure device. It does not matter what system or app you put on there... it can be 'seen' in some places.

Last edited:
Reactions: Handsome Recluse
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Countries don't need to hack into your cell phone... they can set policies that dictate that any cell operator in the country must allow access.
So they are not hacking in... they are already "in"...

Agreed, this is why I like to use third party communication apps within the phone. For example end-to-end encrypted SMS that verifies device integrity at each end, then communicates directly with that specific device directly. So your SMS history is largely non-existent for third parties. Then set a message decay time of 6 hours, and every 6 hours any evidence of any text is wiped on both ends.

I remember reading how Cohen used Signal. However he made the big mistake of not setting a disappearing message time. So once those devices were taken and accessed ALL of the texts were there for anyone to see despite being sent/received encrypted. A classic mistake of a bumbling fool that doesn't understand technology..

My inner circle doesn't even use the phone or SMS apps on our devices anymore. Encrypted, decaying texts, and a specific encrypted device to device phone calling app. My home phone is my most secure communication method, it's a custom Asterik server that opens an end to end 2048-Bit tunnel between selected parties and mutates the key automatically.

Fun stuff. But Burrito is correct in that this all depends on country. For the US and US Citizens, the Constitution (State and Federals) provide near absolute protection, rendering anything gathered largely junk data and un-actionable. In addition to this, there is a roll-back of bulk data collection taking place most people aren't aware of because it's created too many haystacks that don't even have needles in them.

Other countries? Not so fortunate in all areas IMO.

• Applause
Reactions: Handsome Recluse

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Fuchsia is basically 100% backwards compatible. So I don't even think most people will notice that something has changed other than the kernel...

Reactions: paulderdash

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.