Not open for further replies.

userone

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 26, 2015
Hi all,
Please forgive me for another similar topic

After the vote has been cast, please write a few words why you voted on this and not another. The system on which it will be used softwares is a windows 7 pro 64bit.
Ps.Please do not write the type of texts "I voted for this because I use it" etc. I care about the answers that will bring something to the topic

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

userone

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 26, 2015
I heard that on the default settings in ESET hips is not the best, is it true?
If so, somewhere in the forum is a topic in which it is shown how to set hips?

double post???

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Yes, ESET's HIPS is not great. In fact, it is somewhat useless because it does not do anything except when you put rules to it. If you do, it will surely work.
As far as I know, there's no topic here for setting ESET's HIPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: SloppyMcFloppy

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015

double post???

ESET is like Avira that focus on signatures over zero day protections. But if you configure ESET HIPS it will just do fine, but don't expect to beat Emsisoft, Kaspersky, or BitDefender.

Reactions: XhenEd

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014

double post???
If I remember correctly, on default ESET hips are set to smart mode.

Which as you can read here
Hips Mode - ESET Smart Security - ESET Security Forum
Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS)—Advanced setup (9.x)—ESET Knowledgebase
"Smart mode: Only suspicious system events trigger a notification beyond the set of pre-defined rules in Automatic mode (operations such as system registry, active processes and programs)."

So, if no 'suspicious' action is attempted then the hips won't alert. If a user wants a lot more control, he/she would have to set hips to interactive mode.

If anyone wants to use interactive mode, then I would recommend to set it on learning mode and try to use your usual applications so that the product can grow accustomed. Afterwards you can set it to interactive mode.

There is a guide on setting ESET for max protection, however it hasn't been updated so I don't know if it can help you.
[How To Set] ESET Smart Security for Max Protection

userone

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 26, 2015
interactive mode ?? no thanks, too many messages even when simply browsing the web.

Azure Phoenix thanks for the links I have read about these settings and see what comes out.

wacek_1984
....PL?

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Main problem for ESET HIPS which is lack of predefined rules which you need to activate learning mode for a couple of days to build those rules.

The alert description is so simple which totally rely on user interaction hence a last option for protection components fails.

Reactions: XhenEd and SayanQ
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.