Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Since I'm bored...
The Five Laws of Behavioral Genetics

The five laws of behavioral genetics are:
  1. All human behavioral traits are heritable
  2. The effect of being raised in the same family is smaller than the effect of the genes.
  3. A substantial portion of the variation in complex human behavioral traits is not accounted for by the effects of genes or families.
  4. A typical human behavioral trait is associated with very many genetic variants, each of which accounts for a very small percentage of the behavioral variability.
  5. All phenotypic relationships are to some degree genetically mediated or confounded.
All are simple. All can be said in one sentence. Yet all are incredibly profound and terribly underappreciated in today’s society.
For most of the history of the laws, there were only three. The first three were coined by Eric Turkheimer (who has since spent his time trying to undermine his own discovery). Recent genomic studies have added the fourth (Chabris et al, 2015). And Emil Kirkegaard has proposed the fifth based on multivariate behavioral genetic studies. Allow me to review the five laws and their everyday significance.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Since I'm bored...

The five laws of behavioral genetics are:
  1. All human behavioral traits are heritable
  2. The effect of being raised in the same family is smaller than the effect of the genes.
  3. A substantial portion of the variation in complex human behavioral traits is not accounted for by the effects of genes or families.
  4. A typical human behavioral trait is associated with very many genetic variants, each of which accounts for a very small percentage of the behavioral variability.
  5. All phenotypic relationships are to some degree genetically mediated or confounded.
All are simple. All can be said in one sentence. Yet all are incredibly profound and terribly underappreciated in today’s society.
For most of the history of the laws, there were only three. The first three were coined by Eric Turkheimer (who has since spent his time trying to undermine his own discovery). Recent genomic studies haheritve added the fourth (Chabris et al, 2015). And Emil Kirkegaard has proposed the fifth based on multivariate behavioral genetic studies. Allow me to review the five laws and their everyday significance.
The first two points are probably not true in the above form and hard to prove by the science. They can be probably true in the form:
1. Several behavioral traits can be heritable in some way.
2. The behavioral traits of the child, can be affected both by the family (social life) and by the genes.

There are two kinds of heredity.
The first is via genes, so the children are going to get the pule of genes from their parents.
The second is via epigenetic phenomena (Transgenerational epigenetic inheritance). It means that the way of parents' gene activation/suppression can be affected by their life conditions, and that information can be passed to their children. It is different from the gene mutation.
The proofs of 'Transgenerational epigenetic inheritance' are accepted very slowly in science.

Shortly, you can inherit the piano with one jazz standard (standard genetics), but you can also inherit some melody variations made by your parents (epigenetics).
The epigenetic inheritance can last for a few generations and fade away, if the particular
behavioral traits are not continued by the children.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weebarra

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
The first two points are probably not true in the above form and hard to prove by the science. They can be probably true in the form:
1. Several behavioral traits can be heritable in some way.
2. The behavioral traits of the child, can be affected both by the family (social life) and by the genes.
They are. Along with the 3rd, they always show in twin studies. In fact, the social sciences are wrong for assuming systematic environmental effects and that's why their findings are largely unreplicable.
They're the first laws so they're easier to prove than the last two.
Environmental Hereditarianism

Last edited:

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
We are all pre-programmed to work and behave in a certain way. Everything else around us does not matter that much. You cannot run DOS like Windows also cannot run Windows like DOS.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
We are all pre-programmed to work and behave in a certain way. Everything else around us does not matter that much. You cannot run DOS like Windows also cannot run Windows like DOS.
Genetic isn't an exact blueprint either. Random, unexplained variations exist (probably partly from random developmental processes. i.e. fingerprints). The world is inherently random after all and it's unrealistic to not include randomness.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Quantum Mechanics strongly suggests, that there can be physical events which have no cause in the past. There is also no proof that free will is an illusion. So, it may be true that we are partially programmed and still can have a free will.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Genetic isn't an exact blueprint either. Random, unexplained variations exist (probably partly from random developmental processes. i.e. fingerprints). The world is inherently random after all and it's unrealistic to not include randomness.
The genome has the built-in variation mechanism that relies on jumping genes.
Transposable element - Wikipedia

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yeah but those don't seem to be additive genes. The genes affecting all behavior as in the 4th law.
Can We Really Inherit Trauma? Headlines suggest that the epigenetic marks of trauma can be passed from one generation to the next. But the evidence, at least in humans, is circumstantial at best.
Human behavior, depends in a great deal on gene dynamics. The different behaviors are like different melodies. You do not need to change the instrument (pule of genes) to play a different melody. For example, the gene dynamics can change the gender of the person, and this usually changes the behavior of that person.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I seriously need to go back to school. What did/do you guys study, Or is it just something that interests you ? I am not trying to be smart or funny but i am curious (y)

Reactions: Andy Ful

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
They are. Along with the 3rd, they always show in twin studies. In fact, the social sciences are wrong for assuming systematic environmental effects and that's why their findings are largely unreplicable.
They're the first laws so they're easier to prove than the last two.
Environmental Hereditarianism

Interesting stuff. And yes... the separated twin studies are fascinating. Acadamea seemed to artificially lean toward 'nurture' for a long time to explain human traits.

There was a recent movie about separated triplets that was interesting..

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I seriously need to go back to school. What did/do you guys study, Or is it just something that interests you ? I am not trying to be smart or funny but i am curious (y)
Personally, I was always interested in the history of humankind and the history of life on Earth. The genetics is very important to understand and improve the theory of evolution, clarify the massive migrations of the people, etc. There are many interesting articles in Science and Nature magazines. The actually available genetic techniques, can quickly move the humankind into the new (probably dangerous) era, where people will be genetically changed by the artificial techniques. All living organisms are very similar from the genetic point of view. So, you can transfer some of the genes from the spider to the goat, and produce the spider silk from the goats' milk.
BioSteel - Wikipedia
:emoji_beer:(y)

Edit.
Sorry, my post was slightly off topic. Anyway, it seems that many human behaviors are rooted in the gene dynamics, which is strongly connected to the family, social culture, and life conditions of the people. For example, the gene activity suited to teaching the spoken language is high only in the childhood, etc.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I free will myself to being free of everything. Especially security softs.

Welp, nope, didn't work. Didn't see the All Spark.
That would be a normal behavior for a person who is a vessel of All Spark.:giggle:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.