The Future of Malware is here – CryptoLocker

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
only firewall or antimalware software out there that can detect and prevent is EAM 8.0 or Online Armor 7.0 both came out after crytolocker was sent free to destroy just my 2 cents worth

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
rebel4life said:
only firewall or antimalware software out there that can detect and prevent is EAM 8.0 or Online Armor 7.0 both came out after crytolocker was sent free to destroy just my 2 cents worth

Doesn't CIS protect against this?

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
i guess any security software that did an upgrade or update after cryptolocker came out but ask some of the others here about it. i dont want to mislead anyone here just got an email from Emsisoft tell me about their products ok

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I really don't understand the importance of a products to protect against CryptoLocker.

Several ways to protect your system from this kind of malware:

Simple ways:
1. User actions- don't download or run files from unknown sources.
2. UAC- if you pay attention to UAC notifications and deny suspicious actions, that kind of malware will be blocked.
3. Windows own run warnings when running files without digital certificates.
4. SmartScreen notifications about suspicious files- just don't download or run them when notified.

Advanced ways:
1. Use security products with HIPS- like Comodo, Privatefirewall, Malware Defender or Online Armor.
2. Use Sandboxie or BufferZone Pro in real-time for all web applications.

Malware like CryptoLocker are for fools, if you are fooled into downloading and running malicious files then there is no hope for you.

Thanks. :D

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
cryptolocker is an ramsonware trojan the infected machine sees a page that says in order to get your machine back or control of it you have to pay some money its not a tool its really bad if you get it and hard to removal too

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Sandboxie, in conjunction with wise downloading discipline, keeps me secure.

If either of those fail, I have a wicked behavior blocker that is customized to be extremely paranoid, so I don't have to.

Littlebits states the gist:
Malware like CryptoLocker are for fools, if you are fooled into downloading and running malicious files then there is no hope for you.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Yes, I had this page jumping in front of my eyes on my Windows screen, of crypto locker ransomware trojan .. 'Your personal files are encrypted' bla bla bla .. - because I clicked on nice wallpaper image in Google Images search.

And I'm safe always.

Thanks to my softwares on demand only.

Thanks to ex. ProcNetMonitor: http://securityxploded.com/procnetmonitor.php - in which I click to kill all browser processes, one by one, without mercy. Very easy, because these browser processes are at the top in the ProcNetMonitor. So I click on the 'Kill process' button, that's easy.

- If you pay attention to do NOT click on this horrible ransom page, you're saved .. if you kill this virus page, by killing your browser process (processes).

I'm Me

Verified
Sep 14, 2013
Prorootect said:
I click to kill all browser processes, one by one, without mercy. Very easy, because these browser processes are at the top in the ProcNetMonitor. So I click on the 'Kill process' button, that's easy.

Could I accomplish the same thing by just immediately shutting down my computer?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I said:
Prorootect said:
I click to kill all browser processes, one by one, without mercy. Very easy, because these browser processes are at the top in the ProcNetMonitor. So I click on the 'Kill process' button, that's easy.

Could I accomplish the same thing by just immediately shutting down my computer?

You can accomplish the same by reading this post.

Enjoy!! :D

jenniferatemple

Verified
Oct 2, 2013
Correct me if I am wrong here. One is safe if they download direct from original vendors and do NOT open mailed links. Isn't it that simple?! Google tells you if the down load is from a known or in house source, so avoid all that are clearly 3rd party, right? Safe, Right? No CryptoLoc, Right?

jenniferatemple

Verified
Oct 2, 2013
I have Malwarbytes pro and the adverts say it will catch these Trojans and have them in quarantine before any damage can be done. 1st, is this true. Then if it is true, why is the free version not built the same way?

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
jenniferatemple said:
I have Malwarbytes pro and the adverts say it will catch these Trojans and have them in quarantine before any damage can be done. 1st, is this true. Then if it is true, why is the free version not built the same way?
The pro version has an active scanner, whereas the free version is on demand only.

jenniferatemple

Verified
Oct 2, 2013
aztony said:
jenniferatemple said:
The pro version has an active scanner, whereas the free version is on demand only.

SO IT WILL CATCH THE SOB? RIGHT?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
CryptoLocker and most malware alike are spread by fake alert sites like fake Windows Updates, fake flash player, fake codec packs, fake browser updates, fake malware scan pages, fake Java updates, etc.

These sites usually are made to resemble legitimate sites with spelling errors because users will be redirected to them. Other ways to download infected files are scam links in your email, IM or chat, Facebook, Twitter, online ads or any other sites that are not associated with hosting safe files.

Trusted vendor websites, Softpedia, MajorGeeks, SnapFiles, DownloadCrew, Betanews, FileHippo and Filepuma are some of the safe places to download files.

Even on trusted vendor sites and safe download site you can get safe adware but nothing like CryptoLocker. Always read EULA and opt-out of included adware.

I'm Me

Verified
Sep 14, 2013
Prorootect said: Yes, I had this page jumping in front of my eyes on my Windows screen, of crypto locker ransomware trojan .. 'Your personal files are encrypted' bla bla bla .. - because I clicked on nice wallpaper image in Google Images search.

He didn't say he downloaded anything so I got the impression that the trojan was activated by a simple click. Is this incorrect?

Littlebits said:
I said:
Prorootect said:

You can accomplish the same by reading this post.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
He didn't say he downloaded anything so I got the impression that the trojan was activated by a simple click. Is this incorrect?

This is very highly unlikely that just clicking on an image started the infection, he probably clicked on an fake image which was really an infected executable file and was embarrassed by his ignorance.

For example; if using Internet Explorer and you find a fake image file it will appear as "TigerWallpaper.jpg.exe" if the show hidden extensions is set on Windows Explorer then all the user will see is "TigerWallpaper.jpg" IE will ask if you want to "save" the file or "run" the file. If the user chose to "Run" the file it will start the execution of the infection. In doubt you should always choose to save the file, open location and then scan it.

Of coarse on Windows 8, the smartscreen would have notified the user about running a suspicious executable file.

I'm Me

Verified
Sep 14, 2013
That makes sense, Littlebits. Thank you.

I do have "show hidden extensions" enabled on my computer and though Firefox is my main browser, I do normally save my downloads first and scan them with Virus Total.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Quote:
'He didn't say he downloaded anything so I got the impression that the trojan was activated by a simple click. Is this incorrect?'

Nice thumbnail which leads to malicious page 'you're encrypted bla bla bla' in Google Images Search (the name of this thumb is original):
imagesCA3D6DWO.jpg
xVYCAs7.jpg

I clicked first: on this nice thumbnail in Google Image Search, which leaded me to trapped destination page and this same, but bigger Google pop-up image. Nothing happens.

But, after click on this bigger image pop-up from the trapped destination page, the crypto locker ransom virus page jumped before my eyes.

- then I do NOT clicked on this ransom page - but killed browser processes with ProcNetMonitor.
So malicious ransom virus page disappeared, other browser page disappeared too of course.

--------------------------------------

Sorry for my English .. is my description comprehensible now?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Prorootect said:
Quote:
'He didn't say he downloaded anything so I got the impression that the trojan was activated by a simple click. Is this incorrect?'

Nice thumbnail which leads to malicious page 'you're encrypted bla bla bla' in Google Images Search (the name of this thumb is original):
imagesCA3D6DWO.jpg
xVYCAs7.jpg

I clicked first: on this nice thumbnail in Google Image Search, which leaded me to trapped destination page and this same, but bigger Google pop-up image. Nothing happens.

But, after click on this bigger image pop-up from the trapped destination page, the crypto locker ransom virus page jumped before my eyes.

- then I do NOT clicked on this ransom page - but killed browser processes with ProcNetMonitor.
So malicious ransom virus page disappeared, other browser page disappeared too of course.

--------------------------------------

Sorry for my English .. is my description comprehensible now?

Could you give me the direct link to this website and search result on Google? add hXXp:// to the prefix because someone can not just click on it.

Unless he was using out-dated browser and add-ons, he would have to download a file from the ransonware page in order to get infected, just visiting the page should not result in getting an infection.

I'm thinking he must have downloaded a file thinking it was an image but was really an infected executable file.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.