Advice Request The future of security on Linux

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Except for those pesky malcoders that hack Linux software on repos and essentially make embedded Linux malware. Those go FUD for years.

Clickity-clackity free-will downloaders are just as unsafe and at high risk on Linux as they are on Windows. Significant numbers of Linux infections in areas of the world where Linux is very popular because it is zero cost and the typical user is indiscriminate download-happy - such as India.
Don't miss the "theoratically" in my post. 😄

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Linux is safer than Windows because the user is more restricted in what he can do on the system and malware can theoratically only access local files etc. (Same with iOS compared to Android.) The system itself remains safe. Of course its true that Linux has less users so cybercriminals will probably focus more on windows, but the infrastructure is defenitly more secure than Windows and even open source.
While you're right with more restricted user account this doesn't mean it's more secure.
read Linux | Madaidan's Insecurities (madaidans-insecurities.github.io)

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
While you're right with more restricted user account this doesn't mean it's more secure.
read Linux | Madaidan's Insecurities (madaidans-insecurities.github.io)
Okay, I get the point, but are you trying to tell me that there is no security advantage at all between restricted and non-restricted user accounts? I mean thats what your basically saying. I also didn't say that Linux is bulletproof, but if you have Windows next to Linux freshly installed without any additional software, then I'd say Linux is more secure also due to the fact that it has less users as @Mariihh already said.

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
Unfortunately, even Linux is mostly reactive in that it is a whack-a-mole-centric protection model despite the tools available to secure it, such as SELinux.

It's not perfect, but Linux security does its part for those willing to put forth the effort.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Okay, I get the point, but are you trying to tell me that there is no security advantage at all between restricted and non-restricted user accounts? I mean thats what your basically saying. I also didn't say that Linux is bulletproof, but if you have Windows next to Linux freshly installed without any additional software, then I'd say Linux is more secure also due to the fact that it has less users as @Mariihh already said.
Sure, Linux has less users which many thinks reduce the risk, but Linux is often under attack as we see repeatedly in news.
Many factors are also human behaviour but i only want post this link as Linux isn't so secure as many things.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Except for those pesky malcoders that hack Linux software on repos and essentially make embedded Linux malware. Those go FUD for years.

Clickity-clackity free-will downloaders are just as unsafe and at high risk on Linux as they are on Windows. Significant numbers of Linux infections in areas of the world where Linux is very popular because it is zero cost and the typical user is indiscriminate download-happy - such as India.
Interesting... I haven't heard much about home users on linux getting infected in recent years.
It's the linux servers that are under attack in the articles I read.

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
Interesting... I haven't heard much about home users on linux getting infected in recent years.
It's the linux servers that are under attack in the articles I read.
There's a lot of Linux malware out there. And infections fly below the IT security news radar as Linux compromises probably attract almost no readers.

There's no reliable data set to know just exactly how bad the Linux malware problem actually is. Just try to find a Linux malware removal forum where you can look thru old posts to get an idea of the intensity and extent of Linux malware.

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
Guess I'm lucky Qubes runs smothly on my PC, which is 4-5 years old. I only played around with it a little (network adapter comes in tomorrow), but it seemed pretty simple TBH. The way I see it, if I'm gonna bother learning Linux, it mise well be on the most secure version of it I can find. If I end up liking it, I'll probably build my next computer around it.

I have always stuck with Windows because I was able to piece together enough security software and tweak enough settings that I felt it was very secure, but it always felt like I was going against the grain for no reason. Now that I gave up gaming, I have nothing holding me down anymore. Honestly, I hate Microsoft, and feel like a total cuck every time I boot up my PC.

Reactions: Protomartyr

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
Guess I'm lucky Qubes runs smothly on my PC, which is 4-5 years old. I only played around with it a little (network adapter comes in tomorrow), but it seemed pretty simple TBH. The way I see it, if I'm gonna bother learning Linux, it mise well be on the most secure version of it I can find. If I end up liking it, I'll probably build my next computer around it.

I have always stuck with Windows because I was able to piece together enough security software and tweak enough settings that I felt it was very secure, but it always felt like I was going against the grain for no reason. Now that I gave up gaming, I have nothing holding me down anymore. Honestly, I hate Microsoft, and feel like a total cuck every time I boot up my PC.
Theoretically Qubes should have OK hardware support even for more recent systems. It just never seems to run well inside VMs.

As far as learning Linux, if one wants to become proficient, at the very least they have to learn Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSUSE. More quirks than you can shake a stick at.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Just try to find a Linux malware removal forum where you can look thru old posts
I can't find such a forum, and I have never even seen such threads, which is one reason why I think that linux home users are not affected by malware very often.

Reactions: Protomartyr

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Weird. I would think they would do the opposite - run another OS inside Qubes.
Some people like to run a new OS in a virtual machine, in order to see if they like it, before they actually mess with their real system. It's an imperfect test because sometimes it behaves differently in a VM, especially with hardware compatibility it behaves different.

I am of the opinion that Linux is a safe OS. Not because it is inherently unassailable, but because it is security by obscurity. I am not talking about Linux servers, I am talking about Linux home users. You just don't see anyone online saying they got infected, in recent years.
Maybe all us linux users are infected and we don't even know it, but I don't think so. Eventually you find out about it. Your accounts get hacked, or your CPU overheats, or you get warnings from your ISP about suspicious behavior. Or your data gets encrypted or leaked. If you are infected and there are no consequences, that just doesn't make sense.

So that's why I think Qubes is over the top. Linux is secure enough, just choose a distro that works for you, that's all.

Last edited:

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
I am of the opinion that Linux is a safe OS. Not because it is inherently unassailable, but because it is security by obscurity. I am not talking about Linux servers, I am talking about Linux home users. You just don't see anyone online saying they got infected, in recent years.
Pretty much. Annnndddd... you have to go out of your way to be clickity-clackity downloader to get infected.

Honestly, since there's no place to even look up even "anecdotal" evidence, it's a guess. Perhaps in India and SE Asia where flash drive sharing is rampant the Linux desktop infection rate is more quantifiable. It wouldn't surprise me. India, for example, is download crazy-insane for just about everything.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Pretty much. Annnndddd... you have to go out of your way to be clickity-clackity downloader to get infected.

Honestly, since there's no place to even look up even "anecdotal" evidence, it's a guess. Perhaps in India and SE Asia where flash drive sharing is rampant the Linux desktop infection rate is more quantifiable. It wouldn't surprise me. India, for example, is download crazy-insane for just about everything.
Indeed, many Linux bloggers write English with a heavy Indian accent.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
There are probably hundreds of bugs even more severe than that. But no one bothers to exploit them. How much money can you make by mugging a penguin? :)
Microsoft considers Linux insecure enough that it will not permit WSL\Linux distros from its own Microsoft Store on Windows 10 S.

:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.