Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
lead.jpg

Ron Carlson’s short story “What We Wanted To Do” takes the form of an apology from a villager who failed to protect his comrades from marauding Visigoths. It begins:

What we wanted to do was spill boiling oil onto the heads of our enemies as they attempted to bang down the gates of our village. But as everyone now knows, we had some problems, primarily technical problems, that prevented us from doing what we wanted to do the way we had hoped to do it. What we’re asking for today is another chance.

There’s little suspense in the story—the disastrous outcome is obvious from the first paragraph—but it works because of the poignancy of the apology. All of us have screwed up situations in our lives so badly that we’ve been forced to explain our actions by reminding everyone of our good intentions. It’s obvious now that what we did was a fiasco, so let me remind you that what we wanted to do was something brave and noble.

We ended up creating one of the most hated tools in the advertiser’s toolkit: the pop-up ad.

The fiasco I want to talk about is the World Wide Web, specifically, the advertising-supported, “free as in beer” constellation of social networks, services, and content that represents so much of the present day web industry. I’ve been thinking of this world, one I’ve worked in for over 20 years, as a fiasco since reading a lecture by Maciej Cegłowski, delivered at the Beyond Tellerrand web design conference. Cegłowski is an important and influential programmer and an enviably talented writer. His talk is a patient explanation of how we’ve ended up with surveillance as the default, if not sole, internet business model.

The talk is hilarious and insightful, and poignant precisely for the reasons Carlson’s story is. The internet spies at us at every twist and turn not because Zuckerberg, Brin, and Page are scheming, sinister masterminds, but due to good intentions gone awry. With apologies to Carlson:

Full Article

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you, venustus.

After puttering about MT whilst 3 of our 4 cats journeyed through the quiet darkness of predawn, I stumbled upon your thread. After the cats had found their way back into our home, satisfied their hunger, and settled back to dream of birds & butterflies, I continued to fall ever deeper into the far reaching and fascinating views of this amazingly factual piece of wonderfully written, and engrossing, "..storytime" for non-"investors".:p
I was quite taken by the close imagery of:

"Research suggests that these personalized sites may lead us into echo chambers, filter bubbles, or other forms of ideological isolation that divide us into rival camps that cannot agree on anything, including a set of common facts on which we could build a debate."

I felt it could even apply to many of us in the context of this site which feeds us (so to speak).:)

(..and to all those whom may feel they lack the patience to read the entire article, do take it in smaller increments because it is so ...SO worth reading to it's eventual completion!:D).;)

I shall be looking for the book "Digital Cosmopolitans in the Age of Connection" by Ethan Zuckerman!!:):)

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Thank you, venustus.

After puttering about MT whilst 3 of our 4 cats journeyed through the quiet darkness of predawn, I stumbled upon your thread. After the cats had found their way back into our home, satisfied their hunger, and settled back to dream of birds & butterflies, I continued to fall ever deeper into the far reaching and fascinating views of this amazingly factual piece of wonderfully written, and engrossing, "..storytime" for non-"investors".:p
I was quite taken by the close imagery of:

"Research suggests that these personalized sites may lead us into echo chambers, filter bubbles, or other forms of ideological isolation that divide us into rival camps that cannot agree on anything, including a set of common facts on which we could build a debate."

(..and to all those whom may feel they lack the patience to read the entire article, do take it in smaller increments because it is so ...SO worth reading to it's eventual completion!:D).;)

I shall be looking for the book "Digital Cosmopolitans in the Age of Connection" by Ethan Zuckerman!!:):)
You're welcome my friend!!!:):):);)

Reactions: Logethica
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.