Advice Request The IT Professional’s Guide to 8K Connectivity

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
A very informative guide to preparing oneself in the direction of 8K especially with current hardware devices. It's very helpful to me as I'm starting in the 8K direction

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Say if I have a 8K60Hz TV what should I do now in order to enjoy the 8K? Sure the 8K TV (Samsung, Sony, LG etc) comes with great 8K upscaling capability.

Let's look at some current hardware and services

1) Handphones
Some already have 8K@30Hz feature like from Samsung, Xiaomi etc. It's rumored that handphones coming next year will support 8K@60Hz. The question is using a USB-C to HDMI2.1 adapter cable connecting from the phone to the TV won't work. The only way out is to copy the 8K video clips from the phone to the PC/laptop and play from there.

2) Cameras
Yes, some already have the 8K@30/60/120Hz feature
Also, from SONY, with the upcoming Alpha 1 and the A9S both of which support 8K@30Hz video recording

3) Players - Currently none is of 8K

4) Media and Streaming Services - No 8K as of now. Media discs are all 4K

5) 8K Video-Streaming Sites - YouTube and Vimeo do support 8K

6) Desktop PC/laptop
Not an issue for desktop PC/laptop as long as you get the right graphics card which supports 8K@60Hz and comes with HDMI 2.1 ports.

Laptop with iGPU has to be of Tiger Lake with the latest Intel driver for 8K and, of course, have HDMI 2.1 ports.

Lastly, player software like the latest VLC supports 8K@60Hz

7) Monitor
Currently, no monitor has DP2.0 ports. DELL has an old 8K@60Hz monitor

8) Docking Stations
A few already available but supporting only 8K@30Hz

9) Switch/Splitter
Few available but supporting only 8K@30Hz

10) Cables and Adapters
Already some brands do support 8K@30/60Hz

SUMMARY

IMO, you can start with 8K now.

To immediately enjoy the use of the 8K@60Hz TV you have to generate your own 8K content or depends on 8K upscaling using the current 4K content

1) Buy a 8K@60Hz camera..........................a very super expensive option. Current prosumer hand-carrying cameras only support 8K@30Hz
2) Get a desktop PC/laptop with the right graphics card and with HDMI 2.1 ports
3) Use cables/adapters which support 8K@60Hz

Handphones and the rest can wait for next year when support for 8K@60Hz is available

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Counter:
I should’ve done some checking on how much bandwidth Netflix actually uses, rather than relying on its own estimates of bandwidth requirements for 4K streaming. According to real-world tests, the actual bandwidth required for Netflix (in terms of per-hour watching) ranges from 1.9GB – 2.55GB at 1080p with 23.976fps video and 3.5GB – 7GB for 4K. 60fps video eats 3.1GB/hour at 1080p and an even 7GB/hour at 4K.

Netflix may require 25Mbps for 4K, but it doesn’t actually transfer at anything like that rate. If we assume that the 4K – 8K step would consume an equivalent amount of additional bandwidth to the 1080p – 4K transition, the per-hour bandwidth would be 6.44GB – 19.2GB/hour for 23.976fps content, not the 44GB/hour referenced above. It’s still an extremely high rate of bandwidth burn, but it’s not as high as I initially calculated with back-of-the-envelope math based on Netflix’s required transfer speeds. Apologies for the error.
Source: Don't Buy an 8K TV - ExtremeTech (January 2020)

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Same concept, except YT allows user-generated content. Both are video-streaming services.
I separated the below clearly

4) Media and Streaming Services - No 8K as of now. Media discs are all 4K

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As pointed out in the article, 8K requires a lot of bandwidth - whether you are streaming or uploading content. Undoubtedly compression / a codec standard will be used for these platforms when watching back the video content online.

4K content is still a premium.

Reactions: Venustus

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
As pointed out in the article, 8K requires a lot of bandwidth - whether you are streaming or uploading content. Undoubtedly compression / a codec standard will be used for these platforms when watching back the video content online.

4K content is still a premium.

You can download and watch on your 8K TV instead of watching online

Quote from below link

The AV1 codec is used by Google to decode and encode 8K videos on YouTube.

Unquote

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just add another item to my post #2

11) Xbox Series X and PS5
Both can support 8K but the feature is disabled because currently there are no 8K games

Edit

1) Handphones

Handphones from Samsung and Xiaomi encode video at 8K@30Hz. Samsung S21 phones decode the 8K video at 60Hz. Hopefully phones from next year can encode/decode video at 8K@60Hz

The specs for the Exynos 2100 are here

Video
Up to 8K decoding: 60fps with 10-bit HEVC(H.265), 30fps with 10-bit VP9, AV1
Up to 8K encoding: 30fps with 10-bit HEVC(H.265), VP9

Unquote

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.