Question The most convenient way to switch Antivirus software (Poll)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

When switching Antivirus software, do you...

• Total voters

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I use Total Uninstall to monitor the installation of antiviruses, so when I use it to uninstall the antivirus it knows exactly what files and registry keys to remove. Unless you are using an uninstaller to monitor the installation of an antivirus. I highly recommend running the vendor's own install tool, after uninstalling an antivirus.

Bear in mind that If you are just using an uninstaller to scan for leftovers, without having monitored the installation of antivirus, they will typically miss leftovers such as drivers, which when left behind can cause issues. So it's much more important to run the vendor's uninstall tool.
fwiw, I have Revo but I find that using it to install / track with certain software, usually antivirus security apps, can cause installation issues. So I just gave up and do not track installation of AV apps. fwiw2, I uninstalled ESET SS Premium the other day, and it reported clean uninstall, then downloaded their remover app from ESET, ran it, and it did not find anything to uninstall.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
You should always be cautious using uninstallers to remove any software that adds drivers or makes changes in the network stack of the OS. Although rare, it may cause damages to the OS that will give you a blue screen of death as a gift.

The vendor uninstaller will unregister any component that may have been left behind without any danger. The only exception I know of is ESET's uninstaller that may force you to rrestore your network adapter driver and settings as informed in their help page:
Source: [KB2289] Manually uninstall your ESET product using the ESET uninstaller tool

Back up network adapter settings​

After using the ESET Uninstaller tool, you may be required to reinstall your network adapter drivers. Follow the steps below to back up your network adapter settings and restore them after uninstallation is finished:

1. Before running the Uninstaller Tool: Open an administrative command prompt and type the following command to back up your network adapter settings:
    • netsh -c interface dump > C:\NetworkSettings.txt
  2. After uninstallation is complete: Reinstall your network adapter drivers if necessary and then open an administrative command prompt and type the following command to restore your network adapter settings:
    • netsh -f C:\NetworkSettings.txt

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Oh well there you go, this is what may have borked @simmerskool Windows Firewall Platform which was discussed on another thread.
No, No, I think not, because my windows firewall service got stopped and disabled before any attempt of mine to uninstall ESET.
But agree the MS tech running in-place upgrade from win10 iso did fix the firewall (and broke a few other things :ROFLMAO: -- relatively easy to fix 😅 )

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
No, No, I think not, because my windows firewall service got stopped and disabled before any attempt of mine to uninstall ESET.
But agree the MS tech running in-place upgrade from win10 iso did fix the firewall (and broke a few other things :ROFLMAO: -- relatively easy to fix 😅 )
What fun is it to update an OS if it doesn't break something? I know no OS that is 100% safe when updating, including Linux and Macs in this list :)

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I've used NirSoft's DriverView in the past to do the same.
I normally allow the creation of boot log through msconfig and check what gets loaded with Windows. Residual drivers being loaded on startup will be erased manually. I will then inspect C:\Windows\System32\Drivers & DriverStore & DRVSTORE and the equivalents in SysWow64. I manually go through the properties and identify drivers which may belong to antivirus solutions.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I tend to do clean install, wich takes around hour to set up all stuff right, not the most convenient way but gives me peace of mind
It depends on how frequently one engages in the change of security software. If one is doing it every now and again after subscription has expired then it is perfectly fine to clean install. I would always prefer booting from a flash drive then the built-in reset methods which take more time. But if one changes the security software every Monday and Thursday, clean install will waste time and will severely decrease the lifespan of the SSD.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Agreed with Moonhorse. Clean install is the best way to navigate bugs and issues. Usually fixes everything if you know what your doing. The only pain configuring group policy and Windows Firewall. Besides that, it doesn't take long with a clean install. Instead of 300 apps and lots of tweaks I keep it to the bare minimum.

Ever since Macrium went paid only I've lost interest in backups and restores. Clean install is just as easy to me, maybe not others. I just like a fresh OS to configure and not having to worry about any sort of backup. If something goes wrong or I'm attacked or infected I just nuke the OS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.