Question The most convenient way to switch Antivirus software (Poll)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

When switching Antivirus software, do you...

• Total voters

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Voted "other" due to two reasons:
- no my usual method what means 3rd party uninstaller and than manually remove leftovers
- actually everything depends on purpose of uninstall/install AV/security app and how often I plan to do it - when I want to do "rough test" or check more than one app I'm using backup/image app or Shadow Defender if tested app don't need system restart.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
On Windows I would always use the antivirus uninstall utility to remove software. Where uninstall utility/tool is not provided, I would perform manual inspection to remove remaining files.

On Mac, antiviruses don’t provide utilities and also, some companies (Panda being an example) don’t even provide uninstall routine built in. These must be removed using this app:

Mac has no registry, the app will detect all relevant folders, services and packages, and will erase them.

Not recommended:
Clean install the OS: if your antivirus provider is causing you to reinstall Windows because it can’t correctly be removed then it is worse than infection. Time to look for another one.

Uninstall software just via the OS and install the new one: leaves too many remnants and in some occasions, attempting to reinstall the solution at a later stage might turn out to be problematic.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Usually official uninstaller but I find having to remove ruminants. Comodo for example leaves behind EventLog entry and a Startup entry which both have to be removed via registry. Trying to stick with one AV these days but I still find myself changing up things too often.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
The most convenient way is not necessarily the best way. The convenient way is to "Uninstall old Antivirus using OS, and Install new Antivirus".

What I do is use the AV uninstaller if there is one, if not use something like HIbit, then I delete any folders or registry entries that are left.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I use Total Uninstall to monitor the installation of antiviruses, so when I use it to uninstall the antivirus it knows exactly what files and registry keys to remove. Unless you are using an uninstaller to monitor the installation of an antivirus. I highly recommend running the vendor's own install tool, after uninstalling an antivirus.

Bear in mind that If you are just using an uninstaller to scan for leftovers, without having monitored the installation of antivirus, they will typically miss leftovers such as drivers, which when left behind can cause issues. So it's much more important to run the vendor's uninstall tool.

Spartan

Level 3
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
I use Total Uninstall to monitor the installation of antiviruses, so when I use it to uninstall the antivirus it knows exactly what files and registry keys to remove. Unless you are using an uninstaller to monitor the installation of an antivirus. I highly recommend running the vendor's own install tool, after uninstalling an antivirus.

Bear in mind that If you are just using an uninstaller to scan for leftovers, without having monitored the installation of antivirus, they will typically miss leftovers such as drivers, which when left behind can cause issues. So it's much more important to run the vendor's uninstall tool.
I noticed the driver thing too, I use DriverStore Explorer to find old drivers pertaining to hardware and that's where sometimes I would spot a driver pertaining to a security program

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Just discovered this link. It says in Features, that it's updated frequently, so that is also a plus. It's a zip file, so there is no program to uninstall.

Features:
– Identifies the currently installed antivirus program(s).

– Helps in identifying past installations of antivirus programs, by searching the system for leftover folders of several common solutions. The results are conveniently presented in tree views, grouped by the name of the antivirus / manufacturer found. You can right-click the paths and open them in file explorer to check its contents.

– Ability to generate a report containing the computer serial number, operating system, current and past installations of antivirus products.

– Provides 1-click access to Windows “Add / Remove Programs”. From there you can uninstall the antivirus using the regular uninstaller. When available, the regular uninstaller should always be used in the first place.

– Provides the official specialized uninstallers for 28 antivirus programs. These are handily presented in a combobox and can be executed with the click of a button.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Just discovered this link. It says in Features, that it's updated frequently, so that is also a plus. It's a zip file, so there is no program to uninstall.

Features:
– Identifies the currently installed antivirus program(s).

– Helps in identifying past installations of antivirus programs, by searching the system for leftover folders of several common solutions. The results are conveniently presented in tree views, grouped by the name of the antivirus / manufacturer found. You can right-click the paths and open them in file explorer to check its contents.

– Ability to generate a report containing the computer serial number, operating system, current and past installations of antivirus products.

– Provides 1-click access to Windows “Add / Remove Programs”. From there you can uninstall the antivirus using the regular uninstaller. When available, the regular uninstaller should always be used in the first place.

– Provides the official specialized uninstallers for 28 antivirus programs. These are handily presented in a combobox and can be executed with the click of a button.
And has its own thread and an active developer @AlexCa here on MT:
Antivirus Removal Tool - The technician friendly tool to detect and completely remove antivirus software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.