Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Show me where is the lack of logic with countering my "idiotic" questions.
by this logic you have an issue with users opt-ing for 3rd party software over WD.
no need for any name calling, especially from a staff member.
I have zero problems with users opt-ing for their preferred security solutions, unless it's a major concern (ie. out-dated, discontinued, shady, warez etc).

Quote from yourself:
"you went from paranoid to not protected at all"

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I have zero problems with users opt-ing for their preferred security solutions, unless it's a major concern (ie. out-dated, discontinued, shady, warez etc).

Quote from yourself:
"you went from paranoid to not protected at all"
it's pointless to argue about this, I don't consider WD a protection at all, You do.
I tried to influence my opinion with testing WD, well we all saw how that went on the malware hub. VM got trashed by every malware executed.

Reactions: The paranoid one

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
so it's the user protecting the computer and not the software? what's the point of the software then..
what's protecting him from ransomware coming from email attachments? what's protecting him from exploits? WD surely not.

if he wouldn't have ZAM with Pandora enabled, he would be vulnerable to anything that isn't at least 2 days old.
Ultimately it's up to the user to act as the first line of defence. If a user opens a random email attachments, browses without an adblocker or torrents warez then the responsibility lies solely on the user if infection occurs, regardless of which security solution they're running.
If @The paranoid one is comfortable with Windows Defender and is following safe browsing practices then I see no reason to change it.

T

The paranoid one

Thread author
I have returned from vacation more paranoid, so I can see it, I have totally changed my settings.

Removed List
  • Windows Defender
  • Zemana AntiMalware Premium
  • WFC from Binisoft
  • KeePass
  • Aomei Backupper PRO
Added List
  • Qihoo TS
  • Comodo Firewall
  • Bitwaden
  • Macrium Reflect
It has been easy to see that my system started slowly and although I like the simplicity of WD, I prefer the effectiveness of CF (with cruelsister settings)
Avast was causing BSOD and I replaced it with Qihoo (Avira and Bitdefender Off)
Yes, yes, yes. I know it, ;) I do not need an AV with CF, but it does not slow down my computer and it makes Sandbox work less. This is the simple and convenient reason

KeePass is a very useful app, I will use it in offline mode, but the truth is that it is more easy for me to use LastPass or Bitwaden, which is the manager I am currently using. It is very interesting, it is Open Source and it is a clone of LastPass if you want there is also a payment modality in case you want more functions

Perhaps the most difficult change has been to install Macrium Reflect instead of Aomei Backupper. I prefer the incremental copy to the differential copy, but I've read excellent reviews and I want to try it

Other minor changes have been to change my search engine from duckduckgo to Google, delete my mail from Gmail and Yandex to use only Protonmail and Tutanota.

Well, it's been a very active comeback from what I can see :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.