Advice Request The passwordless present: Will biometrics replace passwords forever?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
"When it comes to securing your sensitive, personally identifiable information against criminals who can engineer countless ways to snatch it from under your nose, experts have long recommended the use of strong, complex passwords. Using long passphrases with combinations of numbers, letters, and symbols that cannot be easily guessed has been the de facto security guidance for more than 20 years. But does it stand up to scrutiny?
A short and easy-to-remember password is typically preferred by users because of convenience, especially since they average more than 27 different online accounts for which credentials are necessary. However, such a password has low entropy, making it easy to guess or brute force by hackers."

The passwordless present: Will biometrics replace passwords forever?

What do you think the future of biometrics v passwords v new alternatives is for proving your ID?

Personally, I'm loath to give up my fingerprint, iris scan, DNA etc; if it gets stolen I can't replace them, iris replacement surgery does not appeal! I think that passwords and MFA are here for some time still.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It always fascinates me, that people are usually either fully pro or fully against something, be it vaccines, meat, etc. Why not make a compromise?
A combination of biometrics + a password (+PIN) to create a unique hash, so even if the hacker would have one, he would still need the other one.
Saving biometrics could be also unique based on the service, like a store in NY: biometrics + store's hash, so they would know, where it got stolen.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.