App Review The PC Security Channel - Bitdefender v. Kaspersky Ransomware Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Interesting he tested ransomware. I prefer the other malware tests as having good backups mostly prevents ransomware as a concern.
Having proper backups is your most important line of defense in any scenario. In the case of ransomeware those who have proper backups of their data will just carry on with their day. Will they still be annoyed? Absolutely. However those who don't have proper backups will be the ones that make the most noise as they know full well they potentially lost everything.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I think all of these kinds of tests so funny like, who would execute tons of ransomware on their PC at the same time?

And with modules turned off?!

Both did pretty well. But, again, you can't turn off modules if you don't know if they were projected to work together or not.

Based on this test we can understand why Bitdefender does well on tests like MRG or script tests and therefore endpoint default settings tests. Advanced Threat Defense seems to be very aggressive/restrictive against script malware, terminating them if something is spawning malware on the system.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I think all of these kinds of tests so funny like, who would execute tons of ransomware on their PC at the same time?

And with modules turned off?!

Both did pretty well. But, again, you can't turn off modules if you don't know if they were projected to work together or not.

Based on this test we can understand why Bitdefender does well on tests like MRG or script tests and therefore endpoint default settings tests. Advanced Threat Defense seems to be very aggressive/restrictive against script malware, terminating them if something is spawning malware on the system.
Bitdefender agreed with you and just shut it all down. :ROFLMAO:

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
At least it shows how mature the softwares are. Many AV's would have crashed, frozen or shown a notification for every blocked file, while especially Kaspersky handles them easily without being too noisy.

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
I agree. If I were an AV vendor and noticed that there are hundreds of various malware samples run on one system I would probably just make my cloud more thoroughly check all requests coming from that client, knowing that there is very likely some testing going on on that system. That way my software would catch more samples and perform better than others and I would certainly put that system (license ID, IP address...) on my "special list" of malware testing systems.
IMO just the fact that you are performing tests might give you different results than actual results on system that is not used for testing. With cloud nowadays doing hard work this would IMO not be very difficult to implement.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I agree. If I were an AV vendor and noticed that there are hundreds of various malware samples run on one system I would probably just make my cloud more thoroughly check all requests coming from that client, knowing that there is very likely some testing going on on that system. That way my software would catch more samples and perform better than others and I would certainly put that system (license ID, IP address...) on my "special list" of malware testing systems.
IMO just the fact that you are performing tests might give you different results than actual results on system that is not used for testing. With cloud nowadays doing hard work this would IMO not be very difficult to implement.
Yeah, I didn't even think of that but surely it's possible. Didn't we have some minor vendors trying to manipulate AV-Test/AV-Comparatives one time?

On the Bitdefender side, it makes sense to terminate the script spawning malware by looking for the malware chain.

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
Yeah, I didn't even think of that but surely it's possible. Didn't we have some minor vendors trying to manipulate AV-Test/AV-Comparatives one time?

On the Bitdefender side, it makes sense to terminate the script spawning malware by looking for the malware chain.
I don't remember about manipulations. I agree about BD terminating script and also wonder how comes that more AVs don't do it?

Vincent Valentine

Level 2
Verified
Feb 8, 2018
Both antivirus are absolutely amazing, but my all-time personal favorite is Kaspersky. :love:
For both Real time and Periodic scan I will put Kaspersky AV and their virus removal tool at no 1 position.
To me the only AV who can give solid competition to Kaspersky is definitely the one and only Bitdefender.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I did a test once with Bitdefender and it stripped a file of malicious code.The file was still on the desktop but when I analyzed it all the malicious lines of code were gone,the rest of the "safe" code was not touched:)

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I did a test once with Bitdefender and it stripped a file of malicious code.The file was still on the desktop but when I analyzed it all the malicious lines of code were gone,the rest of the "safe" code was not touched:)
I really like Bitdefender. I just wish the automatic profile/game mode worked better. But their ransomware protection is decent and barely has any performance hit.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Agreed..Kaspersky is great too,but it doesn't have a simple on off switch to alert for programs wanting to phone home.With bitdfender you have the alert mode
Does anyone know how to get a workaround for this?

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
I use Bitdefender, I don't know Kaspersky, but Bitdefender always block good apps, like some of my songs from playing and Minecraft ;-;.

Reactions: JB007 and Cortex

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.