Advice Request The Secure Messaging App Conundrum: Signal vs. Telegram

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
In the last few days I have been asked by many non-crypto friends “to recommend a secure messaging app alternative to WhatsApp”. This report contains my answer ,

The Contenders

When discussing secure messaging apps, two of them come immediately to mind: Signal [5] and Telegram [11] 1 . Therefore, I decided to lay down as clearly as possible the reasons why one gives higher security guarantees than the other.

Disclaimer. Both Signal and Telegram care about security. Their teams are a collection of extremely smart people, and they do their best to protect their users. What sets them apart is their approach to security, and this is what I will analyze in this report. Neither protocol has been broken (yet), and as of the writing of this report I have never being in contact with any of the companies mentioned here.

TL;DR: Signal gives stronger security guarantees than Telegram. If you want to prioritize security, use Signal. If you really like cool stickers, ginormous groups (100 000 of users!), and are willing to trust the guys at Telegram (they are not Facebook after all), go for Telegram. Either choice gives you better security guarantees than WhatsApp , If you are looking of a summary of my points, read the Conclusions section.
Conclusions

Signal has a better security infrastructure than Telegram for three reasons:
1. Signal does not ask users to trust Signal, Telegram does (and this has strong implications on security).
2. Every communication in Signal is E2E encrypted, in Telegram groups cannot be. Even assuming that encryption does not make sense for public groups with thousands of members, the lack of E2E encryption for small groups seems unnecessarily problematic.
3. E2E encryption is on by default on Signal, and in fact it cannot be turned off. This is not the case for Telegram, and it is bad practice in security. The choice of the security settings should NOT be left to users: that is what experts are for.

Still, from a security standpoint either of them is a better choice than WhatsApp, because they are open source (with some caveats in the case of Telegram, see the previous section for a more detailed explanation).
Read the full research in this pdf by Cecilia Boschini:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Another alternative: "Wire" there it's possible to create an user account only with any of your email, no phone numbers are required being in contact to other users of Wire, of course it's available for both Android & iOS

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.