Guide | How To The simple way to mitigate over 90% of Critical Microsoft Vulnerabilities

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Unconvinced about the importance of removing user admin rights? Read on for some compelling reasons why user privileges should be at the top of your security agenda in 2014.
We’ve been analyzing the regular security updates issued by Microsoft in 2013, issued each month on “Patch Tuesday”, to determine the effect of admin rights for mitigating known Microsoft vulnerabilities. The findings highlight the huge number of vulnerabilities that are greatly lessened in environments where there are no privileged users.
Key findings from this report, entitled 2013 Microsoft Vulnerabilities Study: Mitigating Risk by Removing User Privileges show that:
  • Of the 147 vulnerabilities reported by Microsoft in 2013 with a Critical severity rating, 92% were concluded to be mitigated by removing administrator rights
  • 96% of Critical vulnerabilities affecting Windows Operating Systems could be mitigated by removing admin rights
  • 100% of all vulnerabilities affecting Internet Explorer in 2013 could be mitigated by removing admin rights.
http://blog.avecto.com/2014/02/the-...e-over-90-critical-microsoft-vulnerabilities/

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
As the article stated, "Without user admin rights, any malware threat is contained and prevented from infiltrating the corporate network where it can inflict the most damage." I wonder how the individual (private) computer user:oops: might further lock down:cool: system security.

Jcwisgod

Level 2
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
I'm busted, I always use an Admin account, I wonder if there are programs like DropMyRights that still work

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.