the unknwn security

H

hjlbx

This is just a suggestion ...

Stream-line the system ... it makes daily use and maintenance much less of a hassle ...

You have a tremendous amount of duplication / overlap between apps.

Lose all the VPNs and choose which one performs best on your specific system.

Use a single solid, respectable AV that includes a means to monitor outbound connections. (ESET 8 would be my choice).

Add a single on-demand scanner... MBAM or EEK.

Add at least an incremental file/folder backup solution ... AOMEI Free will accomplish everything you need backup wise.

Learn how to really use Shadow Defender's Shadow Mode to your full benefit.

It will be all right...

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
the unknwn, thank you for sharing.:)
I also agree with illumination's (*plus others) sage observations above. Personally, I prefer ESET; and like many of your listed apps!:D

Since I didn't see Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit included in your arsenal, I shall mention that it's free, protects against zero day threats, and you can read more about it (before deciding to adopt it) here:
Since multiple users log onto your system, something you might consider would be to use non-admin. accounts which would simply ask for password verification before changes can made, it also protects your computer from take overs, and it's like a 2nd UAC. The trade off is well worth the safety.;)

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Wow, 3 VPN's... I assume you are tunnelling (if so, put CG and US after CS, the first two blab to the cops)? Congrats on using CryptoStorm *high 5*

A lot of protective apps installed... normally people smuggle drugs in their (_o_), but it looks like you are smuggling drugs in your PC!

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Too much and overlapping software installed, as already suggested, streamline your system.

Poor config in current state.
I wonder if it's an inherited setup from another user of this PC; eg: main user installed all this, any other accounts have them by default. It could spell trouble since permissions will be strict.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

B1n@ry.B4D

Level 1
Jul 21, 2012
Some small suggestion:

- 2 AV? uninstall Avira: ESET is a bit better.

- 3 VPN? with Tor Browser 2 are sufficient...

For maximum security you can use this scheme (Tor Browser hidden: side ISP & internet)
PC > Firewall HW > VPN-1 > Tor Browser (sandboxed) > VPN-2 > internet

For maximum privacy (side internet) you can use this scheme
PC > Firewall HW > VPN-1 > VPN-2 > Tor Browser (sandboxed) > internet

For maximum privacy (side ISP) you can use this scheme
PC > Firewall HW > Tor Browser (sandboxed) > VPN-1 > VPN-2 > internet

...and you can also use OpenNIC DNS (countries: CH/RU/RO with the option NO LOGS flagged as active):
http://wiki.opennicproject.org/Tier2

- EDIT:

Don't trust Bitlocker! The original BitLocker schema has been changed to no longer include
the Elephant Diffuser function. Microsoft weakened Bitlocker in Windows 8.x by removing this function.
http://spi.unob.cz/presentations/23-May/07-Rosendorf The BitLocker Schema.pdf

...but also, about Bitlocker (see pdf):

- Microsoft don't provides information about key generation
- Microsoft don't provides information about key storage
- Microsoft don't provides information about key retrieval

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually your setup makes very complicated and dangerous :)

Because those drivers installed for AV are sometimes attached on kernel mode hook or in nature there could be a conflict on operations which suddenly caused BSOD or problematic boot up.

One Antivirus + another companion AV may help but again it does not increase the level of protection with setup of deactivating some components.

But good thing that you can safely surf or test in such virtualize environment with Shadow Defender and Sandboxie so just a silly mistake will overall cause huge infection problem. (Besides of having final option for backup and recovery tools)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
I always wonder what people have to hide, 2 or more vpn:eek:
no one will come after you if you crack windows or adobe so what am I missing here?:eek: scary things.

Reactions: tonibalas

the unknwn

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
i'm not using them all of my vpn's and i forgot to mention that i've disabled avira's internet protection and turned on eset. eset is good in internet protection i only use avira for real time protection

S

Smith83

i'm not using them all of my vpn's and i forgot to mention that i've disabled avira's internet protection and turned on eset. eset is good in internet protection i only use avira for real time protection

Still not good, you MUST uninstall one.....

Antivirus Remover Here

the unknwn

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
thanks for your advice i have uninstalled avira and now i uninstalled all of my vpn's leaving cryptostorm

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.