The World's First $9 Computer is Shipping Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
Remember Project: C.H.I.P. ?
A $9 Linux-based, super-cheap computer that raised some $2 Million beyond a pledge goal of just $50,000 on Kickstarter will be soon in your pockets.
Four months ago, Dave Rauchwerk, CEO of Next Thing Co., utilized the global crowd-funding corporation ‘Kickstarter’ for backing his project C.H.I.P., a fully functioning computer that offers more than what you could expect for just $9.
C.H.I.P. stands for "Computer Hardware in Products."

At first, the project was looking like a never ending project but here's something exciting — The $9 CHIP computer is shipping.

CHIP packages:
    • 1GHz R8 ARM processor
    • 4GB of internal flash storage
    • 512MB of DDR3 RAM
    • Bluetooth
    • Wi-Fi connection
    Looking at the output front of it, CHIP features:
    • A single full-sized USB port
    • Microphone input
    • Headphones output
    • A composite video output that supports older televisions
    • A micro USB that supports OTG
    As it is an open source project, CHIP offers support for thousands of open source applications such as:
    • LibreOffice package for editing documents and spreadsheets
    • Chromium for browsing the Web
    • VLC Media Player for playing audios as well as videos
    • Other programs for coding, torrenting, and photo editing, among others

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Can we change the processor of the C.H.I.P? Because 1 GHz Processor ARM is the only thing that's bugging me right now. There goes software support :rolleyes:

As for the 4 GB pitiful flash storage, I would plug in a 128 GB flash drive, use dropbox, and start doing my daily work. The RAM is more then enough for my daily work- the MacBook is for video editing (and frankly, isn't enough even with 8 GB RAM).

This is beyond great for students who don't have a big budget. Me, I have a little more slack.

Reactions: Raul90 and XhenEd

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
It's like a cheep version of Raspberry PI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.