TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
My 2017 Security config. I made backups always when I edit a file. I have always ready a pendrive containing Windows 10 if I need to format my system. I always scan downloaded files with VirusTotal and Hybrid Analysis

Last edited:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Why not browser extensions? I would suggest to add Disconnect,HTTPS Everywhere, and uBlock Origin.
Add CCleaner Free.

Thanks for sharing.
I prefer having the fastest browsing experience. I usually use Microsoft Edge. I don't use any ad-blocker for the reason mentioned before. I used Ccleaner free in the past but now I do no longer feel the need of it, and I dislike the fact that they added a startup item (even if it can be disabled)

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Thanks for sharing your config :)
I fully respect your choice to see and accept Ads, but you consider that some Ads may contain malicious code and cause redirects, and in this case you are victim of malversting.
I know about this risk, and I'm not sure if VoodooShield would be able to protect me. I have Always taken this risk and never encountered it, and have backups and a Windows 10 pendrive ready in case ;)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
You can then choose to block only 'malware domains' in uBlock Origins, ads allowed. And mostly blocking of ads helps speeds up the final display of webpage since it directly blocks the ad links from loading. Still, I appreciate your reason to choose ads :)

VDS free is not fully secure for blocking and you know that buddy. Eg. it allows any process that has a trusted parent (eg. winrar) as you know.
There are some other unmodifiable security options in free version, so it doesn't help with 100% detection or blocking.
To compensate, you should probably have a stronger protection than WD, with behavioral analysis to make for VDS' shortcomings. Though you use Hybrid Analysis, not all malicious files running/just in your PC will be from those checked downloaded files right.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
VDS free is not fully secure for blocking and you know that buddy. Eg. it allows any process that has a trusted parent (eg. winrar) as you know
The WinRAR problem was fixed in 3.52. Now, I'm looking for other problems like this one

Reactions: aragornnnn

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Thank you for sharing :)

Well you can at least Use inbuilt browser settings ( block pop ups / block flash / block auto download / phishing warning / etc .. Obviously js block would be like an adblocker )
I use browsers at default settings, so some of them should be active

Reactions: aragornnnn

Hector1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
Good and light for me, but why not a local password manager like Keepass? I will add a system image backup software for faster recovery too (20 minutes VS 1-2 hours for reinstalling windows).

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
A system backup solution is an essential part of ones security config.
I would consider an additional on demand scanner(s) as well as CCleaner both will not effect your lite config.
Nice lite config but I would consider a system backup solution.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Your config, in terms of security software, is just fine. VoodooShield should take care of everything.

As for backup images, it's not only a matter of whether you feel okay with reinstalling your OS from scratch or not, but also a matter of time. As members stated above, recovering from a backup image takes usually less than 20 minutes.

The difference with reinstalling your OS, additionally, is that you can restore it to an exact state, for example, you can restore your OS to a state in which all Windows updates have been installed, which would save you even more time than reinstalling. (or, even, the backup image can contain all your installed applications too, so you wouldn't have to install them again after restoring from a backup image - even less effort, even faster recovery, and return to your everyday tasks)

However, user confidence plays a great role here. If you feel more confident with your choice, then by all means, do not force any backup software into your setup. When it comes to experienced users, many things are a mere matter of choice.

Thanks for sharing your config with us. :p

Reactions: Hector1

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
What do you mean?

Suppose, that an average user has downloaded 'I_am_not_malware.pdf.js' script, and executes it. What VoodooShield is going to do, if not in Locked mode? In Pilot mode it will check the file in VirusTotal, I think. But, maybe it can do more?
I am not sure if scripts can be checked by VodooShield AI.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I would consider CCleaner (essential for cleaning, can disable startup entry if you want) and ublock (you can disable adblock and just use protection against tracking and malvertising - trust me, it wont slow down your browsing).
Other than that, really like your setup. Simple, free and light.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.