• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepiratedon

Thread author
Apr 23, 2012
thepiratedon's Config

Ello!
I have now reinstalled my computer and this is my current setup.
Any feedback would be nice :)

PC details:
.RAM: 4gb
.CPU: i7 Q720, 1.6 GHZ
.GPU: Nvidia gt 230M

For backup I am using windows 7 default Backup / restore.
This setup is used for pretty much everything:
.Basic browsing (including, mail, rss, youtube)
.Filesharing (p2p, torrent)
.Banking
.Programming

The goal was to have as light and responsive system as possible
without compromising to much security.

So what you think?

Other programs I have installed:
.7Zip 922
.Notepad++
.Python (for scipting / programming)
.mingw (c / c++)
.Mediaplayer classic
.CCleaner

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: Help making the ultimate "safehouse" ^^

Here is a possible configuration:
Real-time protection

Comodo Internet Security Free is one of the best free suites available on the market, I would recommend that you first try this product.

Comodo Internet Security (Free) - link
Comodo Internet Security is the free, multi-layered security application that keeps hackers out and personal information in.
Built from the ground upwards with your security in mind, Internet Security offers 360° protection by combining powerful Antivirus protection, an enterprise class packet filtering firewall, advanced host intrusion prevention and automatic sandboxing of unknown files.

It's important to know that most infection rely strongly on social engineering, basically you'll need to run them so that they can work... if you practice a smart online behavior then you should really decrees your chances of getting infected. You can read some tips on how to avoid infections here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-5-easy-tips-to-avoid-infections

Browser protection
I would suggest that you consider browser the web using either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
If I were you , I would chose Google Chrome as this browser has a very strong guard against malicious links/downloads and has embedded a lot of security features.
As good as a browser is , you'll need some plugins to improve protection:

Web of trust - site advisor
WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

Adblock Plus for Google Chrome (Free) - link
Adblock Plus for Google Chrome is a content-filtering extension for Google Chrome. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

On demand scanners

You should always upload all your downloads on virustotal.com and perform a scan with your on-demand to be checked for malware!

VTUploader (Free) - link
To upload a file to VirusTotal, you can visit the main analysis site, click the Browse button to select a file from your hard drive, and then click the Send file button. You can make this process even easier with the free VirusTotal Uploader utility. After installing it, you can simply right-click any file under 20MB and choose "VirusTotal" from the Send To Windows menu. The scan results will display in your browser as usual.

Hitman Pro (Trial start when you actually remove infected objects.) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (Trial) - link
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free utilizes Malwarebytes powerful technology to detect and remove all traces of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and more.

Virtualization:
Even if you submitted a file to virustotal.com and it said that it's clean , you'll need to run it in virtual environment because sometimes infection can be so new that security vendors don't have signs for it.

Virtualization software will allow you to browse the web or run another application in a completely safe environment. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites, whether accidentally or deliberately, as the Web browser will be completely contained within the virtual enviroment, preventing any damage to your computer.
A sandbox can also be used to run any other applications which you think may be suspect - you can run the program inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.
I strongly advise you to install Sandboxie and use it for when you're browsing the Internet or running shady/unknown programs(not that you should do that but... :) ) . Alternately you can try BufferZone PRO (Free) , another great virtualization software.
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Always run suspicious of freshly downloaded files in a Sandboxie to verify that he download isn't compromised!Sandboxie will replicate perfectly your operating system so all the files should run without any problems in it.

Last edited:

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

Here is a good config for you.

Real Time: Comodo Internet Securoty Free.
AVG LinkScanner or BitDefender Traffic Light. I do not recommend WOT.
Use Opera, Google Chrome, or Firefox or Internet Explorer.
No need of a sandbox as Comodo has one.
ON Demand Scanners: Malwarebytes Antimalware Free and VT Uploader

Note:- Pls install a link scanner as Comodo Lacks website scanning technology.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

malbky said:
I do not recommend WOT.

Whats wrong with WOT? :s

Anyways,

I highly agree to do what the post's above me say, But I'll add.

Realtime Protection: Comodo is good but if you feel it's too advanced I suggest Avast Free, I used it for years and always loved it!

On Demand scanners: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free or Emsisoft Anti Malware Free. Once you choose one or both of those I suggest adding Superantispyware and Hitman Pro. Those are my favorites so far.

Web Browers: I'm a huge Firefox guy but if your looking for good security, Google Chrome has some awesome Anti-Malware features, Otherwise go with Firefox.

Add Ons: I suggest adding Ad Block Plus and WOT.

I would add AVG LinkScanner or BitDefender Traffic Light like Malbky mentioned.

I would suggest creating a Kaspersky Rescue Disk in case of an Emergency if cleaning is not possible.

Theres a lot more but these should get you started.

Welcome to MalwareTips!

D

Deleted member 178

I agree with Malbky, WOT is a joke now.

Ratings are given by users who for the most part don't have a clue about security, are either haters or fanboys.

The Iobit/MBAM drama is the best example, Iobit's rating dropped to the underworld just because some good-thinking people and fanboys of MBAM gave bad rates after the issue was made public.
When im using WOT (or any website rep givers) i want a neutral rating about SECURITY of the website i will visit , not a business -i love/hate this company- rating...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Still third party sites that were included like HpHost and etc can provide accurate ratings for WOT.

thepiratedon

Thread author
Apr 23, 2012

Ok, so far this is what i'm thinking, feel free to comment.

AV / Firewall: CIS (Comodo Internet security)
Browser: Comodo Dragon
Add-ons: Adblock
On-Demand: Malwarebytes (Forgot to mention before, but I actually have malwarebytes pro ^^, it's an excellent program.)
Tuneup / Cleanup: CCleaner or Comodo System Cleaner (Would love some thoughts here.)
Backup: O&O Disk Image 5 professional (Got it free during Easter ^^)

Regarding Browser, do I need a url scanner if I use Comodo Dragon with Comodos DNS for dragon? (Also, is site inspector that comes with dragon good enough?)

about the addons, is there any similar addon like noscript to "chrome" (Dragon)?

As mention above, what do you guys think I should use as a tuneup / cleanup (Registry cleaner, etc)?

So what do you think?
Thanks for all help, it's really appreciated. And I got to mention that this is by far my best experience on a forum :).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Well Comodo Site Inspector is fine and you can add Comodo DNS as well since it will prompt during the installation.

Also Hitman Pro is fine as scanning demand scanner. It does have a portable which doesn't need an installation.

CCleaner and Comodo System Cleaner will be ok for the system since it does same like the paid version.

ScriptNo another alternative extension, you can give it a shot.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

Add traffic light or link scanner thepiratedon. You wont regert it. Umbra well said. WOT is a big joke. In reality WOT is not a virus scanner nor a link checker. Any new viral domains and WOT is a big failure.

thepiratedon

Thread author
Apr 23, 2012

Current setup
=============
AV / Firewall: Comodo Internet Security (5.10)
On-Demand: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
Browser: Comodo Dragon
Add-ons: Adblock Plus, ScriptNo, Bitdefender TrafficLight
Process Monitor: CCE (Comodo Cleaning Essentials) (Killswitch)
Cleaning Utility: CCleaner
Archiver: 7-Zip (9.20)

So what you think? Anything I should change?
Also what should I be using as Virtualization, Video Player & Program Manager?

I'm thinking.
Virtualization: VirtualBox (Will be used for running linux.)
Video Player: CCCP / MediaPlayer Classic (Will be used for watchin movies & Playing music.)
Program Manager: Comodo Program Manager

What do you guys think?

D

Deleted member 178

For sites rating, you can remove Traffic Light, i used it from a while and saw no real protection, better using M86 and Webutation together.
I suggest you, Dr Web Link Checker (extension for Dragon), it work very well.

ScriptNo is useful but annoying with time, you will spend too much time allowing/denying contents.

Virtual Box has some incompatibilities with CIS,

For a video player it is mostly a question of taste ( im personally using Umplayer).

For the rest, you are all good !

Be sure to set up CIS properly.

thepiratedon

Thread author
Apr 23, 2012

umbrapolaris said:
Be sure to set up CIS properly.

Hmm, ok. :s
How should it be setup then? :huh:

Anti-virus
.Real-Time Scanning: On-Access
.Scan memory on start
.Heuristics Scanning Level: High
.Do not scan files larger than: 5gb, and for scripts: 120mb

In manual scanning I have cloud scanning enabled and filesize limit to 50gb
other than that same as realtime.

Scheduled scanning is same as Realtime + cloud.

Firewal
.Security level: safe mode
.Enabled IPv6 (Don't think I need it, but don't hurt to have it on?)
.Alert Frequency: Medium

Then Protect ARP Cache, Block Gratuitous ARP frames, Block fragmented ip datagrams, do protocol analysis and monitor ndis prtocol.

Defense+
.Enchanted protection mode is enabled

Thats the settings I have. (All the other settings are default.)

Also I have Malwarebytes anti-malware pro excluded from CIS
antivirus & defense+.

and in malwarebytes I have excluded comodos folder.

Is that an ok setup?

D

Deleted member 178

1st of all : Right-click on tray icon, set configuration on "Pro-active" then you can tweak as you wish.

AV:
all heuristic on Medium (High will give lot of FP)

FW :
Firewall on custom;
on advanced tab: check the 4 first boxes (monitor Ndis is only if you use special protocols)
Stealth Port wizard: block all

D+:
computer security policy: add *_CRYPT to blocked files
execution control: restricted or untrusted (with untrusted most softs will be unable to load)

thepiratedon

Thread author
Apr 23, 2012

umbrapolaris said:
1st of all : Right-click on tray icon, set configuration on "Pro-active" then you can tweak as you wish.

AV:
all heuristic on Medium (High will give lot of FP)

FW :
Firewall on custom;
on advanced tab: check the 4 first boxes (monitor Ndis is only if you use special protocols)
Stealth Port wizard: block all

D+:
computer security policy: add *_CRYPT to blocked files
execution control: restricted or untrusted (with untrusted most softs will be unable to load)

Ok, well. I don't mind false positives ^^.
Forgot to mention. (But I had already done the settings with stealth port wizard.)

about D+:
What is *_CRYPT :huh:?

Else I have done all those settings now :cool:.

D

Deleted member 178

Defense+ (alone, not the AV or cloud part of CIS) is vulnerable to a piece of malware called the GPcode that encrypt all your file, adding this line will prevent it to affect your files

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

Instead of 7ZIP try PEA Zip. CIS looks solid. Nothing more is needed you are good to go. You can replace traffic light with AVG Link scanner. Remeber for Doctor Web Link checker you have manually right click and check links.

thepiratedon

Thread author
Apr 23, 2012
thepiratedon's Main Config [Updated]

Hi!
Wanna thanks everyone who helped me with my laptop setup.
See: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Help-making-the-ultimate-safehouse

really appreciated it :)

Now I would like some help to set up my security at my main desktop machine.

What do you think of my config so far?

[UPDATE]
So my Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 is slowing-down my computer to much, and is sometimes giving me headache due to blocking etc.

Since I use this computer primarily for gaming / web-browsing now days, I need something that is not as intrusive and heavy as kaspersky. But still something that will offer excellent protection.

I am thinking I will go with
.Microsoft Security Essentials
.Comodo Firewall
.Malwarebytes Pro

So my question to you guys is:
1. Will that config be good enough for security?
2. Will it be a lighterload than kaspersky?
3. Do they all work together?

And finally, do you recommend something else?

thepiratedon

Thread author
Apr 23, 2012

Hi thanks everyone for the help!
My Comodo / malwarebytes comp is now all setup.

If you would like to help me with my "main" desktop machine check this thread: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Kaspersky-IS-2012-Main-computer

Thanks once again for all help!
Your the best!

The configuration became:
.Comodo Internet Security (free)
.Malwarebytes Pro

.Comodo Dragon with Adblock, scriptNo, Bitdefender trafficlight & Webutation
.Comodo Killswitch
.CCleaner
.7-zip

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
RE: Kaspersky IS 2012 Main computer

Well KIS 2012 can be set to a maximum protection as possible. Link

once you configured all then your set. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.