Troubleshoot There is an issue having to do with the installed SEP extension in Chrome.

zbigniew59

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2020
I installed - just - a firewall.
At the same time, I installed this extension in chrome.
I don't want that - I have other extensions and NextDNS - I don't need that.
But I can't uninstall it, turn it off. The disable options in the browser do not work (it is still on) and in the chrome web store - there is no uninstall option.
How to get rid of this extension? (blocks me many sites that I know are safe)

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
If you are unable to uninstall or disable an extension in Chrome, you can try the following steps to remove it:

1. Open Chrome and click on the three-dot menu in the top-right corner.
2. Go to "More tools" and select "Extensions" from the dropdown menu.
3. Locate the extension you want to remove and click on the "Remove" button next to it.
4. A confirmation dialog will appear, click "Remove" to uninstall the extension.

If the above steps don't work, you can try the following alternative method:

1. Type `chrome://system` in the address bar and press Enter.
2. Scroll down and find the "Extensions" section.
3. In this section, you'll see a list of installed extensions.
4. Find the extension you want to remove and note down its ID.
5. Close Chrome completely.
6. Open your file explorer and navigate to the following directory based on your operating system:

- Windows: C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions
- Mac: /Users/YourUsername/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Extensions
- Linux: ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Extensions

7. Look for the folder with the same ID as the extension you want to remove (you noted it down in step 4).
8. Delete the folder corresponding to the extension.
9. Reopen Chrome, and the extension should no longer be active.

Note: Make sure you only delete the folder associated with the extension you want to remove. Deleting other folders may cause problems with Chrome or other extensions.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

zbigniew59

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2020
Option 2 - doesn't work either.
I did - EXACTLY - this option
After removing and restarting - this extension is still --and working-and in the given path is still there (after removing and restarting the whole system)
I have google chrome autostart disabled - no chrome processes were running when I did this.
Even after uninstalling the symantec firewall - this extension works - and cannot be disabled - remove.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.