Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Hope it's OK to ask this here. Like others in this form. I use Windows Defender with other security programs but occasionally, I install other Antivirus programs and use them for awhile. Up until maybe 4 months ago, Windows Defender would turn off automatically after a 3rd party AV install, and back on after an uninstall, but no longer does. I use a reg file to turn it off and back on, but it has been bothering me why Windows Defender no longer does it automatically. I was hoping some people in here may know why or be experiencing the same thing. Thanks.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 178

Before WD think: ok this AV is stronger than me, i go off.
Now: ok , this AV is not worthy compared to my new AMSI , i have to watch the back of my credulous user

:D

More seriously, WD doesn't shut it off by himself; it was the 3rd party product who disabled it, maybe your 3rd AV didn't do it anymore. Anyway since WD will be able to switch to OD scanner if he detect another AV, the problem will not be so important.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @Wordward. Although our Windows 7, 8.1, and now 10, haven't failed (yet) to automatically de-activate/re-activate Windows Defender, I do remember having to take extra care in uninstalling certain AV's and Internet Security Suites. Windows uninstaller could not completely remove our past trial of MCAffey, and needed a special tool to do the job.

Here is an excerpt among a number of other possible reasons:
  • Remove existing antivirus and antispyware software

If your PC still has another antivirus installed or if one was installed previously then you should use appropriate removal tool to remove all third party antivirus and antispyware programs. You can download removal tools from here:

List of antivirus product removal tools

AppRemover is also a small tool made to scan and remove traces of almost every antivirus available.
Source - Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

I hope this can help.:)

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
I ran the AV removal tools for the Antivirus programs I remember installing in the past. I wasn't sure what to make of the AppRemover website. I think it has evolved into another product with the AV trace scan a part of it. I have been thinking of giving Avast Free a try now that the new version is out, but there are reported problems with System File Checker in the Avast forum. Maybe I can try Secure Anywhere Webroot AV and see if Windows Defender turns off now.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Although I've yet to experience Webroot Secure Anywhere, it has been praised by some and criticized by others. It's Rollback feature sounds very useful!

Shortly after joining MalwareTips, Avast!, our first AV successfully graduated to after Windows Defender (on Windows 8.1) was a replacement for Bitdefender Free which at the time was not compatible. I liked Avast! very much!
It's great to be able to test possible choices in order to make the best decision for yourself!:)

Fulfillment of the hope that Defender deactivates properly would feel that Balance has been restored to The Force,:p but if not, re-installing or perhaps upgrading your OS (if you've not moved to 10, may solve problems and quicken everything as it has in our home.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wordward
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.