This week in science: Should our universe exist?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
This week in science: Should our universe exist?

Should our universe exist?

It seems absurd, but based on current scientific data, physicists have concluded that our universe should not exist. This conclusion comes from newly obtained results from the measurement of the magnetic moment of an antiproton. The magnetic moment of a particle is responsible for how it interacts with magnetic fields, while an antiproton is the proton’s antimatter equivalent particle.

Physicists from the Baryon–Antibaryon Symmetry Experiment (BASE) at CERN were responsible for measuring the magnetic moment of the antiproton with up to nine significant digits, obtaining the value of −2.7928473441 μN, where μN is a constant called the nuclear magneton. Interestingly, except for the negative sign, this is the exact same value obtained for the measurement of the magnetic moment of the proton, which was achieved by the same team of physicists back in 2014.

The standard model predicts that equal amounts of matter and antimatter should have been created in the Big Bang. But because matter and antimatter annihilate one another whenever they come into contact, nothing should have been left from the Big Bang to create everything around us. That is the reason why physicists are constantly searching for differences between matter and antimatter, apart from that negative sign. But so far, all they have found is symmetry. As stated by Christian Smorra, a physicist at CERN’s BASE collaboration:

All of our observations find a complete symmetry between matter and antimatter, which is why the universe should not actually exist. An asymmetry must exist here somewhere, but we simply do not understand where the difference is.

This recent measurement of the magnetic moment of the antiproton is a major milestone not only because it was never done before, but also because of the difficulty imposed by the experimental methods applied. To isolate antiprotons, the team had to use a combination of two Penning traps, a kind of device that employs magnetic and electric fields to contain a material. This was necessary because no physical container can hold antimatter, which would instantly react with it, and only one Penning trap would reduce the antimatter’s lifetime.

Now, the scientific community is waiting for results from another CERN team, from the Antihydrogen Laser Physics Apparatus (ALPHA) experiment. This team last year probed an antihydrogen atom with light only to find no difference between it and the hydrogen atom. But this time, the ALPHA team is studying the effects of gravity on antimatter. Would antimatter ‘fall up’ or, again, ‘fall down’ as the common matter?

Source: Cosmos Magazine

Einstein’s theory on happy living sold for $1.56 million

1509222388_einstein_note_on_stationary_from_the_imperial_hotel_in_tokyo.jpg
I
It was 1922 when Albert Einstein, already aware that he was to receive the Nobel Prize for physics, gifted two notes to a courier in Tokyo. The physicist, who was already famous for his theory of relativity, was in Japan on a lecture tour, staying at the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo.

One of the notes, on the stationery of the Imperial Hotel, stated what is being called Einstein’s theory of happy living, in which he wrote that "a quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest”. The other note, on an otherwise blank piece of paper, simply reads: "where there's a will, there's a way”.

Both notes were put to auction by a relative of the messenger, who added that Einstein didn't want the messenger to leave empty-handed, even though that was the local practice, and told him that "maybe, if you're lucky, those notes will become much more valuable than just a regular tip".

The note on the stationery of the Imperial Hotel was expected to be auctioned for up to $8,000, but in the end, it was sold for $1.56 million. The other note was sold for $240,000. As stated by the seller:

"I am really happy that there are people out there who are still interested in science and history and timeless deliveries in a world which is developing so fast."

Both notes were previously unknown to researchers, and even though none of them carry any sort of scientific value, they can help us understand the private thoughts of one of the most important scientists in our history.

Source: Phys.org

Something to ponder for your coming week :unsure::eek:o_O

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
To me, the answer to the question, that is, the universe shouldn't exist, doesn't make sense. I'm not sure why scientists would conclude (but maybe only a media hype) that the universe shouldn't exist. :unsure:

The universe does exist. Since it exists, then there is/are reasons for such existence. Scientists say that matter and antimatter cancel each other out, and that would be the reason why anything shouldn't exist at the moment of Big Bang. But, again, things exist now. There must be other factors at play why the universe exists despite that matter and antimatter cancel each other out. These other factors may be the reason for the universe's existence. Concluding based only on matter-antimatter relationship is simply narrow-thinking. ;)

But, then, again, were the scientists really concluding, or was it only the writer who concluded? Maybe the scientists were just making an observation. :unsure:

Disclaimer, though: I'm not a scientist nor an expert in the field of science, let alone Quantum Physics. So, take this post as a grain of salt. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
P

plat1098

"Should our universe exist?"

Rodin's Thinker _2.jpg

Actually, this is a moot point. We are earthbound and can only make extrapolations and calculations, we ain't physically out there. I was more interested in the hotel worker's family's windfall after selling Albert Einstein's notes. Very nice. :)

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I'm not sure why scientists would conclude (but maybe only a media hype)
You've answered your own question XhenEd. I'll over simplify by saying things usually are what they seem or in other words, trust your gut, it seems to me that's what these good people are bumping up against, also as I'm hearing and reading it is increasingly difficult to obtain funding for any given scientific project under the current cloud, I mean administration we are under let alone projects concentrating on (what the hell are you talking about) subjects like quantum theory, they have their own theory, think short term, its quicker, more seductive.

Great topic Exterminator, Thank you.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I think it is a proof that the Big Bang should not exist, rather than a proof that the universe should not exist. Out of the two, which is more empirically verifiable: Big Bang, or the existence of the universe? I would dump the Big Bang and put my money on the existence of the universe.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Maybe the reason for the scientists' answer to the question is that these scientists are beginning to acknowledge a force outside the physical reality (i.e. supernatural). That's why they concluded that given the physical status of our universe, the universe shouldn't even exist. But since it exists, then the explanation must be non-physical. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Interesting topic, although all that complicated physics stuff just goes *Whoosh* over my head!:eek:o_O:p

Mind you, the Universe is full of 'Dark Matter' that nobody actually knows what it really is... It appears to be everywhere and forms a large proportion of our universe.
As I'm no physicist, it's well out of my depth! But there's so much out there that we haven't discovered, etc.:alien:

The matter-antimatter asymmetry problem | CERN <<from the boffins at CERN

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.