App Review Those Nasty RATS Part 1

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

1qay1qay

Level 1
Verified
Apr 17, 2016
Great eyeopener video as always ... but i smell a true Greek tragedy in next parts .... ;(
question : since my CFW has sandbox with unknown exe disabled (so no sandbox no matter of source if file is rated as unknown by Commodo) : is possibile to create this dll in memory and load regsrv via fileless exploit of various explooit kits ?

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I don't want to tip my hand at this point, but Comodo will be reviewed in detail in the last part of the series. Currently I'm still working out various stuff so I couldn't give a definitive answer now (but I really like the way you think!).

Duo- As intimated above, the Comodo settings will be the star in the final video.

(Evgeny- You really prefer Elton to Sinead for this song?)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Interesting, RAT is one the primary problems nowadays which definitely can use in such dramatic purposes,

You want to have gain access? Then definitely a deadly piece of tool to track it. AV's still a hit and miss there.

1qay1qay

Level 1
Verified
Apr 17, 2016
I am afraid that there is many more commercial grade RAT on the market as we think, that are unknown to us, and some of them are below 1000 eur range. In wikileaks published emails of Hacker-team one can fell magnitude od such RAT development.

Here is overview of recent target attack with customized RAT
http://www.welivesecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Operation-Groundbait.pdf

Anatomy of targetet attack on specific jurnalist
Hacking Team and the Targeting of Ethiopian Journalists

Since best samples of these threats are polimorphic (even on the fly), we must forget to any signature based "antivirus" and "anti-malware" solution.

Until now i was sure locked down computer with "default deny everything" policy of Comodo would help me here, but after last confirmed fileless memory vectors of attack and process injects/kidnapp i am lost .... so waiting to cruelsis results on this one.

There is no signature to these RAT, every customer gets customized-freesh sample, if target sre big enough even custom CC url. And combinated all that facts with valid signature .... its really hard to think on any defense.

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I'm using Comodo (cruelsisters settings), AppGuard (locked down) I hope this combination will stop these hasty RATs.

Reactions: done

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
I was not aware of that
To watch your videos is the best malware school I could find free or paid

Looking forward to learn more

Thank you for sharing your value knowledge with us

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.