Advice Request Thoughts about Google Chrome's integrated malware scanning tool

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagisa

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
What are your thoughts about how much reliable is it?

Attachments

• Ekran Alıntısı.PNG
    Ekran Alıntısı.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 336
I

illumination

What are your thoughts about how much reliable is it?

It is there, might as well utilize it, Eset is well known for being tough on PUPs...

We worked with IT security company ESET to combine their detection engine with Chrome’s sandbox technology. We can now detect and remove more unwanted software than ever before, meaning more people can benefit from Chrome Cleanup. Note this new sandboxed engine is not a general-purpose antivirus—it only removes software that doesn’t comply with our unwanted software policy.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Before the Anti-Google Agency arrive, try it. It's not harmful or invasive as they claim.

Edit: Too late..
@LDogg Explain why multiple security vendors have previously partnered with Facebook?
Does this mean Avast, Kaspersky, ESET, Trend Micro and F-Secure are all bad..?

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Before the Anti-Google Agency arrive, try it. It's not harmful or invasive as they claim.

Edit: Too late..
@LDogg Explain why multiple security vendors have previously partnered with Facebook?
Does this mean Avast, Kaspersky, ESET, Trend Micro and F-Secure are all bad..?

I no longer use Chrome because they’re too big, but if I did I would make use of this. @LDogg just might possibly, could be a teensy-weeny, maybe a tiny bit paranoid! But that’s why we love him! :giggle:

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and LDogg

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
@Spawn I never stated this was bad for ESET, just stated it's not a good look for them (ESET). My personal opinion is that it helps people that use Chrome and more of an incentive to use the browser. I think the assumption based off my first reply was turned into a negative one here Mr Spawny :p

The mentioned security vendors are not bad, because my original reply never stated I thought it's a bad aspect to partner with a big company.

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused with my post @Spawn

~LDogg

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
In my personal opinion, I find big brands pairing with serious and reliable antivirus solutions to be a really good move. Instead of seeing it as "wow ESET paired with the monster Google", I look at it like "wow, Google will implement ESET technology, means more security and privacy!". Same applies for Facebook, Samsung, etc. Although I cannot actually confirm the integrity of McAfee.

Lets look at these events like huge companies, handling lots of personal data, being interested in securing their customers. Good move, for both of them!

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I assume that the scan only looks for malware that has modified chrome maliciously to either redirect to a phishing site or changed the home page to something else. I just started a scan, gonna see what pops up

Update: scanned for about an hour, then showed that no harmful software was found

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.