Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello Everyone!

I have been checking out a lot of next generation AV solutions out there as the business I'm working for is actively moving away from Kaspersky... There are many reasons why the company is moving away from Kaspersky such as failed definition updates, problems with definitions not showing up in the security center, problems with patches not dropping correctly etc. Not to mention that most resellers have stopped re-selling Kaspersky entirely. Then we have the whole debacle about the feds askings folks to migrate away from even using the software for various reasons.

I looking over a lot of major players out there currently and I'm really liking Bitdefender Gravityzone. Link: Bitdefender GravityZone Business Security

The company is also looking at Carbon Black (CB) Defense which is another next gen AV. I know CB Defense is only a AV and focuses on just that without the bells and whistles of Bitdefender's offerings. Link: CB Defense | Next-Generation Antivirus | Carbon Black

I'm starting to lean to Bitdefender Gravityzone given its strong feature set and the ability to have patch management with the corporate AV in one package. I'm all for having the two separate, but the CIO and CISO seem to like the offering of Gravityzone more so than CB Defense.
  • So what are your thoughts about the two options or perhaps some other solution?
  • Do any of you currently use Bitdefender Gravityzone in a corporate environment?
    • If so, what are your overall thoughts about the software?
    • Does it measure up well for your environment for various reasons?
  • Do any of you currently use CB Defense in your corporate environment?
    • If so, what are your overall thoughts about the software?
    • Does it measure up well for your environment for various reasons?
I'm a little sad to see Kaspersky go, but with the push being made my hands are getting forced to help with the search of a new next generation AV.

Looking forward to your thoughts and insights!

~Brian

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
the business I'm working for is actively moving away from Kaspersky...
If the business you work for is " actively " moving away from one solution, another solution should normally also already been selected. That's my experience.

If I understand this correct, it's probably gonna be in the end one of those two you mentioned? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hi @upnorth !

In the end it will be one of the two that I mentioned. However, I do have some say in other corporate security software too. I have mentioned a few others to my team, but those ideas didn't take off too much.

Let me know if you or anyone else has positive experiences with other corporate AVs. Norton or Symantec was ruled out by the team as they cannot think beyond the times of when it was slow...

Thanks everyone and thank you @upnorth for the question.

~Brian

mediator_ram

Level 1
Verified
May 2, 2019
I have used Avast and K7 antivirus packs both are good in terms of protection. Yet I felt K7 is much better in terms of pricing and features.
Basically, antivirus packs navigations confuse a lot so be prepared in getting used to it especially with K7.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to follow up with everyone here. We made our decision to go with Bitdefender GravityZone Ultra Security Suite - EPP with EDR. In addition to this we are now using the Patch Management tool as an additional add-on from BD.

You can read more about Bitdefender GravityZone Ultra Security Suite - EPP with EDR on BD's website listed here: Bitdefender GravityZone Ultra Suite - EPP with easy-to-use EDR Platform

Another link: https://download.bitdefender.com/re...-Datasheet-creatent80-A4-en_EN-GenericUse.pdf

We are using the onsite relay and hosted options to our benefit. We have been fully converted from Kaspersky for just over a month now. I will say I am really liking this new Enterprise grade security solution over Kaspersky. Everything was highly secure, easy to use, and I really like how BD has everything setup for incident response and investigation. Managing BD is so much easier compared to Kaspersky and I'm glad the company made the jump.

The only down side that I do miss a bit from Kaspersky is not having WOL. I miss the ease of use of WOL (Wake On LAN) from Kaspersky and I'll be searching for a nice tool as as a replacement that doesn't pose security concerns. All you Network Admins like myself probably know of quite a few, but does anyone have a suggestion of a free yet secure WOL option that would be easy for just about anyone with some IT knowledge to use? I want to make sure my JR Network Admin and potentially interns can use the tool like a no brainier. I'm playing around with a few options right now, but I rather not make it difficult for my admin team to use WOL. Again, lots and lots of options out there, but I'm about efficiency and making life easier for the team.

Carbon Black - great company. I got nothing against them. We chose not to go with them as they didn't offer as much as BD did in terms of security options and patch management. Plus BD had a nice interface that (to me) was far less complicated and I want to make sure if anyone of my admins needed to look into something they could without all of the hoops.

Let me know your thoughts!

~Brian

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I miss the ease of use of WOL (Wake On LAN) from Kaspersky and I'll be searching for a nice tool as as a replacement that doesn't pose security concerns.
O&O Syspectr might be interesting. I actually have tested it but I wrote my small review in my profile. If I recall correct it's WOL feature worked as intended and I liked the smooth phone connection. It's still today 100% free. More information here.
We do, with respect to our Fair Use Policy, request that you contact us if you plan to use O&O Syspectr on more than 10,000 endpoints.
:emoji_v::emoji_beer:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.