Thoughts on Dr Web?

Thirio

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
I cannot find any lab results regarding Dr Web. Some people speak highly of it so i'm interested to know more about it. I've used the Cureit! scanner a couple times it seemed kind of slow but picked up some trojan threats other big names missed.

1. Where does it stand among top products today?
2. How good are their signatures and zero day?
3. Is it comparable to Kaspersky or even Avira?
4. How good is it at cleaning up already infected systems?

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I cannot find any lab results regarding Dr Web. Some people speak highly of it so i'm interested to know more about it. I've used the Cureit! scanner a couple times it seemed kind of slow but picked up some trojan threats other big names missed.

1. Where does it stand among top products today?
2. How good are their signatures and zero day?
3. Is it comparable to Kaspersky or even Avira?
4. How good is it at cleaning up already infected systems?
This cant be compared with Avira this program is like one of the worst :p

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
It's good, a bit heavy for some computers but gets the job done. In the other hand if you are a very novice user it will prob fail to protect you over time. If you get fooled by the internet so does your AV. If I have to give my honest opinion F-Secure has little interaction and protects well, it's DeepGuard is simple but yet effective. I use it alongside Firewall App Blocker 1.5 with whitelist function on. So basically only apps I have whitelisted can get outbound traffic, this way everything else is locked, it uses windows firewall then it's very light.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Also I like that it's able to cure files instead of just deleting them.

Pretty much any Antivirus can do that. Usually, cleaning a file means removing the malicious code that has been appended to it. This is done by actual viruses as that's what they do (to self-replicate and infect a system).

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Every should know until now u are a big avira fanboy, lol.get some real zeroday or ransomwares and they will get the hell out of avira. Well, Dr.Web is actualy pretty good in some areas.
1,I am not a Avira fanboy 2, and Avira has like the best ransomware shield..

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Do not let the ideological vision, politically submissive to the american imperialism of some here negatively influence your understanding of this excellent fellow product.
That's uncalled for brother, you may want to edit that out, Post reported.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I haven't used Dr Web for a while but when i did i was satisfied with it's performance.
Very good web protection and pretty good signatures.
BB seemed to be working good.
Some things i didn't like.
High ram usage, slow scanning and a bit heavy on system.
The latest i can understand it because i have an old laptop.
On a new system i don't think you will have this problem.
Overall i think it's a very good security program.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Testing myself.. ;)
If someone from the Malware Hub could kindly provide me with plenty of new samples, ransomware and any other nasties I'll set Avira up in a VM and you can choose every setting I use and I'll show you just how bad Avira's zero day protection is. I'll even run the same samples against other AV's you seem to criticize. At least then you have to face the truth because you'll be picking the settings I'll just be running the samples.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
If someone from the Malware Hub could kindly provide me with plenty of new samples, ransomware and any other nasties I'll set Avira up in a VM and you can choose every setting I use and I'll show you just how bad Avira's zero day protection is. I'll even run the same samples against other AV's you seem to criticize. At least then you have to face the truth because you'll be picking the settings I'll just be running the samples.
I am only talking about the pro Version.
Heur: High by real time and On demand ( web shield ) >>>I think this does nothing for the test but idk :p>>>>( mail shield)
Also scan all files in settings

( Make sure cloud is working it is working 99.99 on cloud..)

Reactions: ZeroDay

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
;) I have never regretted following you, just felt I had to say that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.