Thoughts on Mac Defender

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
rougeamp's vide on Mac Defender:

Hi. I haven't been active here on MT but I will change that starting today by making this post and I want to ask you what are your thoughts on Mac Defender?

1 - Do you think there will be more Mac fake av's or malware?
My response: Yes I do think there will be more malware just not as much as Windows
2 - What do you think about Mac malware and it's future?
My response: I don't think it's future is bright but there will be more. However, Unix and Linux users (and a few percent of windows users) will be smart enough and educated to not click on freakin' every ad that pops up and install adblock plus or whatever. :)
3 - Do you think there will be as much malware on Mac/Unix as on Windows. Or is it just that Windows is more targeted?
My response:
Not as much but I do see Macintosh getting targeted more as the Mac and Linux grow in popularity! Since they are both based on Unix. However, UNIX os's are much more secure than windows. I guess that's why there isn't that much malware on Unix. :)

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Windows will in the next future always be the os that almost everyone will use. so, any malware coder will putt the most affort in making windows malware. that means not that its harder to make malware for Mac or Linux, its just not that effective for the bad guy, simple as that. if more and more ppls switch to mac/linux, it becomes the same malware place as windows.

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Windows will in the next future always be the os that almost everyone will use. so, any malware coder will putt the most affort in making windows malware. that means not that its harder to make malware for Mac or Linux, its just not that effective for the bad guy, simple as that. if more and more ppls switch to mac/linux, it becomes the same malware place as windows.
I totally agree with you! I think UNIX malware will be harder to write 'cause each distro is different so we'll see. :3

Xtwillight

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2014
You're right,it is difficult under Unix / Linux / Mac OSX
To write malware.
Since the operating system Strucktur is significantly better
than in Windows.
But should someone really Write a malware
the same fast and is just as dangerous Write on Unix / Linux / Mac OSX
Then it could Unix / linux / Mac OSX user be very fast Dangerous.
Because many Unix / Linux / Mac OSX users with the subject Malware
not employ.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As far Windows dominates in the OS still there no likely to develop more in the wild list, and the environment of Linux and Unix are very strong to produce least viruses since the components/kernel is different.

Even though in more years to come its still rather same situation.

Last edited:

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
One thing you all forgot to say --- malware couldn't last so long in Linux systems, for they are open-source. Malware detected will be in short hours be eradicated by programmers, because it is open source. After a few hours of detections, patches will be released immediately to remedy the malware. Many people see the malware fast and they act on it fast, being open-source. Unlike in Windows it may take weeks before new malware could be detected.

---According to what I have read before.

breathejustice

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
rougeamp's vide on Mac Defender:
Unix and Linux users (and a few percent of windows users) will be smart enough and educated to not click on freakin' every ad that pops up and install adblock plus or whatever.

However, UNIX os's are much more secure than windows. I guess that's why there isn't that much malware on Unix.

iS tHERE aNY dISLIKE bUTTON oNLY fOR tHIS pOST ?

Ed_M1

Level 1
Verified
Jan 31, 2015
Since Unix and Linux users are mostly smart geeks, because it takes a smart-geek commitment to leave the herd, it's actually accurate to characterize all other OS users as NOT "smart enough....to not click on freakin' every ad." It's just not fair to apply that charicature to those of us Windows users who are HERE on this site! :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.