ConfigureDefender w/ everything but hidden

Malwarebytes Premium (max settings):

Rootkit scanning
Self-protect early start
Password & uninstall protection
Prevent remote desktop connections
Prevent penetration testing
"Use expert algorithm"

Comodo Firewall (looked over every option: running my own set of settings to keep the prompts down without sacrificing protection too much):

All components (Firewall, Auto-Containment, HIPS, VirusScope & Website Filtering) enabled
Firewall & HIPS Safe Mode
VirusScope enabled for all programs

Bitlocker enabled
Periodic malware scanners
AdwCleaner
Hitman Pro
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge w/ custom flags and settings

Bitwarden
Windscribe
uBlock Origin
Dark Reader
Malwarebytes Browser Guard
Secure DNS
NextDNS
Desktop VPN
Windscribe Pro
Password manager
Bitwarden
Maintenance tools
PatchMyPC (daily schedule)
TinyNVIDIAUpdateChecker
SUMo
DUMo
O&O ShutUp10
Bleachbit
File and Photo backup
iCloud Drive
OneDrive
Mega
System recovery
None
Risk factors
    • Working from home
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1050 2GB
8GB DDR4
128GB M.2
1TB HDD
What I'm looking for?

Looking for maximum feedback.

Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of the installed antivirus products.

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Excuse me but should you not look for a backup solution: Acronis, Aomei or Macrium etc. :)
Thanks for the suggestion and it's probably a good idea, but if something happens to my PC all of the files I actually need are in the cloud, and when things have gone wrong restore points have saved me. I suppose there's still a risk but I don't know if such a solution is actually worth it for me.

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
They are all somewhat similar. I just personally think that Private Win10 has a more extensive feature list and better overall GUI implementation that complements WF the most. However, if you don't have an AV, then WFC does check the virustotal database, which Priv Win10 doesn't.

Last edited:

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
After trying Chromium Edge once again, I found it leaked Windscribe DNS queries to my system DNS resolver yet there was no actual DNS leak to websites. Almost like it resolves every domain normally before sending the normal query to the VPN? Absolutely no idea how or why, noticed this multiple times before.

Gone back to my baby Firefox which I inevitebly do every single time I use something else.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

After trying Chromium Edge once again, I found it leaked Windscribe DNS queries to my system DNS resolver yet there was no actual DNS leak to websites. Almost like it resolves every domain normally before sending the normal query to the VPN? Absolutely no idea how or why, noticed this multiple times before.

Gone back to my baby Firefox which I inevitebly do every single time I use something else.
I can't verify any DNS leaks in Edge.
Sounds like a problem with your VPN.

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
I can't verify any DNS leaks in Edge.
Sounds like a problem with your VPN.
It's technically a DNS leak but not the kind most people think of, let me explain how you could reproduce.

- Have NextDNS on your system with logging enabled
- Have Windscribe installed on and enabled on Edge (both the one from the Microsoft and Chrome stores do it)
- Visit dnsleaktest.com or similar service

You'll notice that dnsleaktest will detect no leaks, nor will any website see your real IP address or anything similar, but if you look in NextDNS logs it'll be full of dnsleaktest doing its thing. Visit youtube.com, it goes through the VPN and doesn't see your real IP, but it's there in NextDNS logs. No idea if it's a Windscribe issue or if it happens with other VPNs and hasn't been noticed. Works seamlessly on Firefox.

That's understandable, especially if that's how Edge handles Windscribe.
Yeah it also felt a bit strange when using it but that's definitely a me issue rather than an Edge issue. I also hated how every single time I opened the browser, the new tab page would give me a cookie prompt, and other little things like that.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

It's technically a DNS leak but not the kind most people think of, let me explain how you could reproduce.

- Have Windscribe installed on and enabled on Edge (both the one from the Microsoft and Chrome stores do it)

You'll notice that dnsleaktest will detect no leaks, nor will any website see your real IP address or anything similar, but if you look in NextDNS logs it'll be full of dnsleaktest doing its thing. Visit youtube.com, it goes through the VPN and doesn't see your real IP, but it's there in NextDNS logs. No idea if it's a Windscribe issue or if it happens with other VPNs and hasn't been noticed. Works seamlessly on Firefox.
This is a problem on Windscribe side. Also, if you use a browser extension for VPN usage this is just wrong.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Just to inform: here on my device (W10/x64), running NextDNS and Edge has no leaks as long as you are using Windscribe for Windows-Desktop
This issue seems to be only related to Windscribe Browser Extension

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
This is a problem on Windscribe side. Also, if you use a browser extension for VPN usage this is just wrong.
Just to inform: here on my device (W10/x64), running NextDNS and Edge has no leaks as long as you are using Windscribe for Windows-Desktop
This issue seems to be only related to Windscribe Browser Extension
When the new Windscribe app is stable (it's alpha at the minute) I'll use it on my desktop because of split tunelling, and then I'd have the browser extension as a double hop. Right now I can't sacrifice my ping so I use DoH until I can split tunnel games, and the browser extension gives me a bit more privacy in my browser along with the privacytools.io tweaks.

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Recent install, new config on my catch-all machine for work & gaming ready to slap on Windows 11 and install the same config from scratch.

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.