App Review ThreatFire 4.7.0 Prevention Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Welcome!
Here is the test:

Hope you like it.
:feedback:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

very good review, like the big zooms and Killswitch :D

about TF, it confirmed what i thought, it cant compare with Mamutu. but the good point it seems to be lighter than the previous versions.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
very good review, like the big zooms and Killswitch :D

about TF, it confirmed what i thought, it cant compare with Mamutu. but the good point it seems to be lighter than the previous versions.

Thanks for the feedback :) I felt a system slowdown when I used it. As the version was last updated in 25/11/2009! Symantec is not caring about it. Will it perform better if I set the sensitivity level to be higher?

D

Deleted member 178

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Thanks for the feedback :) I felt a system slowdown when I used it. As the version was last updated in 25/11/2009! Symantec is not caring about it. Will it perform better if I set the sensitivity level to be higher?

that is the problem with TF, resources usage, slow development. theorically it should have a better detection, but i cant confirm. i didnt use it a lot.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Threatfire needs to be update for improvements as Behavior Blocker. At least its getting detected than nothing.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Yes, Symantec owns Pc Tools, but Pc Tools is operating as a separate company, even though it is now under the umbrella of Symantec!

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I heard that ThreatFire was very good in the past, what is the reason for what happened these days?

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I used ThreatFire in the past and it was a very nice behaviour blocker, but it hasn't bee upgraded in a very long time

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm not sure why Threatfire becomes inactive for updates, as since Symantec owns PC Tools its like mostly AV, IS and other products were remain to be active in updates/improvements.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
jamescv7 said:
I'm not sure why Threatfire becomes inactive for updates, as since Symantec owns PC Tools its like mostly AV, IS and other products were remain to be active in updates/improvements.

Maybe Symantec treats PC Tools products as toys :D I don't know why they don't care about it :huh:

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Yea its not the smartest to let them sit there, because that could be pulling more attention to them and make them more money by selling two good products

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If Threatfire was integrated from a part of Norton Feature "Sonar" surely it would done very well.

D

Deleted member 178

jamescv7 said:
If Threatfire was integrated from a part of Norton Feature "Sonar" surely it would done very well.

i heavily suspect it was done already, Symantec surely salvage the code, added it to its sonar, then left Threatfire to its own.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Threatfire on level 3 is practically useless, level 4 might help a bit. But the real problem is that some malware today behaves like any other safe application. It displays a window and asks the user for interaction. Therefore it isn't much a behavior blocker can do. Also a behavior blocker might react to late to prevent changes to your system, some files might be dropped on your hdd, some reg keys changed until the malicious application triggers a pop-up. I think the purpose of a behavior blocker is to prevent malware that your antivirus misses to entirely take over your system. At least this is what most behavior blockers do today - keep your OS in a working state.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So its like to be said, a BB must displayed that the malicious behavior was blocked and no more action required.

D

Deleted member 178

on Mamutu, it lookup the suspected file with the cloud then you set it to block or allow it automatically based on the statistics done by the other users.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
@umbra: But that seems like a way to reduce false-positives, not to improve detection (the file must be suspicious in the first place), am I right?

D

Deleted member 178

yes you right. to improve the detection you must set it on paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.