Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
A major law enforcement operation in Romania led to the arrest of 90 individuals this morning who are suspected of being members of three distinct cyber fraud rings.

Prosecutors from the Romanian Directorate for the Investigation of Organized Crime and Terrorism (DIICOT) assisted by national police executed 117 raids at residences in nine different cities.

The operation targeted three cyber criminal gangs which between 2009 and 2011 defrauded over 1,000 Internet users. The losses are estimated at around $20 million.

The fraudsters operated by posting fake ads on eBay and Craiglist offering to sell cars, motorcycles, small boats, consumer electronics and other goods.

Payments were received in bank accounts set up in the United States using fake or stolen identities and then wired to Romania.

The large-scale law enforcement action was a joint effort between DIICOT and other Romanian agencies, including the Romanian National Police (IGPR), the Romanian Intelligence Service (SRI), and the General Directorate for Intelligence and Internal Security (DGIPI).

It resulted in the arrest of 90 suspects which are being charged with electronic fraud, adhering to an organized criminal group and fraud with grave consequences.

FBI and Secret Service agents stationed at the US Embassy in Bucharest assisted the investigation by providing informational and operational support.

Read more

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
This was the main news today in my country.This guys manage to steal $20 million,which is very impressive.
FBI and Secret Service joined forces with the Romanian Police and Special Service in order to bring down this gang.
It would serve as a good example ,if Romania will allow ,the judging of this guys in a US Court ,where the law is much more harsh and clear for this kind of activities.But most likely this won't happen so as a citizen of this country I say that their is a need for a better and much harsh law against this type of activities.This guys understand only 1 thing : FEAR.

D

Deleted member 178

Hey Jack , i see as the mastermind you succeeded to escape and cover your traces :p

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Hey Jack , i see as the mastermind you succeeded to escape and cover your traces :p
Yeah,it was hard but I manage to escape!!!:p ... If I had 20.000.000$ I would be on a beach in Hawaii right now!

D

Deleted member 178

Hawaii is a bad choice, all criminal flee there after their crimes ^^

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
This gang was just the tip of the iceberg.Cyber Crime has really evolved in the last years.Cyber vandals who used to do minor things on the web, like hack attacks and writing viruses just for fun or to prove themselves, are now turning into cyber-criminals.

In the bellow video ,Eugene Kaspersky, CEO and co-founder of Kaspersky Lab, shares his extensive knowledge of the driving forces that power the modern cybercriminal ecosystem and discuss the way that cybercrime operates. Also he covers the latest developments in the security technologies and describes how he sees the security industry developing in the nearest future. Additionally, Eugene pays particular attention to showing how modern cloud security solutions not only protect users and businesses, but can seriously impede the cybercriminals' black economy, thereby significantly reducing cybercrime.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Glad those criminals were arrested. But 20$ million dollars supposed it was gave for the charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.