Three-Quarters of PCs Sold Can’t Run Windows 11

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
The breakdown is this: 3.62B billion PCs were sold between 2006 and 2017 (the last year CPUs too old to run Windows 11 were made). OTOH, 1.16B PCs were sold between 2018 through the end of 2021. To get that number, I’m generously allowing Gartner’s Q1’21 growth rate to persist all year. Do the resulting math, and just over 24 percent of PCs qualify for Windows 11, while nearly 76 percent of PCs don’t.

...and also this might be interresting:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
People with incompatible computers are supposed to rush out and buy new ones in order to use and enjoy Win 11, the next great adventure in computing.

Personally, I use and am perfectly content to stay with Win 8.1 Pro.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
People with incompatible computers are supposed to rush out and buy new ones in order to use and enjoy Win 11, the next great adventure in computing.

Personally, I use and am perfectly content to stay with Win 8.1 Pro.
A friend told me many years ago:

When it comes to new Windows versions, I go along with the flow. New Windows 8 PCs have new UEFI instead of BIOS, and GPT instead of MBR, and ELAM, and other new stuff. It takes me a year to get used to new version, then the previous version feels old.

Metro/Modern is to make menu items touchable, and to make PC and Mobile OS look similar.

I just buy a new laptop and a new Windows installation DVD when MS comes out with a new major version.

It looks like the Business/Corporate world skips every other version.

Why can't MS keep Windows 7 forever? Marketing reasons. People complain about the new OS, but people wait for the next big thing.

He also told:
Bottom line is security. If Windows 11 is more secure than 10, then ok.

Reactions: Nevi

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
A friend told me many years ago:

When it comes to new Windows versions, I go along with the flow. New Windows 8 PCs have new UEFI instead of BIOS, and GPT instead of MBR, and ELAM, and other new stuff. It takes me a year to get used to new version, then the previous version feels old.

Metro/Modern is to make menu items touchable, and to make PC and Mobile OS look similar.

I just buy a new laptop and a new Windows installation DVD when MS comes out with a new major version.

It looks like the Business/Corporate world skips every other version.

Why can't MS keep Windows 7 forever? Marketing reasons. People complain about the new OS, but people wait for the next big thing.

He also told:
Bottom line is security. If Windows 11 is more secure than 10, then ok.
My wife runs Win 7 Pro. I used the included OEM disc to upgrade to 8.1 Pro. My 8.1 Pro is antique now, while she's still in the Stone Age. But they work for us. I'm considering moving to an SSD soon and then, given the increased speed of the drive might consider going up to Win 10, which is slower than thick molasses on this 2015 era laptop. The SSD ought to speed things up. The laptops don't have the required TPM or whatever is required for Windows 11.

Last edited:

NormanF

Level 7
Verified
Jan 11, 2018

...and also this might be interresting:
What? Running Windows 11 on my Surface Pro 3! I'm not ready to retire it yet.

• HaHa
  • Applause
Reactions: plat and Nevi

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
It will be interesting if the backlash will ever get to MS to somehow tweak the compatibility. Probably not, people will just shell out money for new computers. Non of mine are Windows 11 compatible so I will wait until all my options give out... :/

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
They've been suffering from fragmentation for decades. Even went as far as forcing updates to keep everything up to date. Guess they love it now. Three quarters of the people won't dump their PCs just to get Windows 11. You can't automatically update hardware after all.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Five years down the line we'll be talking about Windows 12... probably. None of my laptops or my desktop are Windows 11 compatible as it stands (processor & TPM criteria) but perform more than adequately for what I need them for. I'll skip W11 until either I need something new and shiny OR my main software cease to support W10. I'm still tempted to try Linux (probably Mint) on my oldest laptop to squeeze some more performance out of it without the Windows bloat.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I use Zorin on a travel laptop and have become very fond of it

And I am wondering how much pleading was done by Intel to MSFT for the latter to ditch older CPU's. I suppose Intel did need something to buttress lagging profits in order to make up for their inability to perfect anything other than the antiquated 12nm process (and the Win11 AMD CPU "bug" seems increasingly suspicious).

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
There's no much to it. You gotta make hardware obsolete. That's how it works in capitalism, nothing should work forever.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Otherwise Microsoft may find home users walking away from them and turning to Linux, Chrome OS or Mac OS.
Not gonna happen. Most likely they'll keep using unsupported outdated Windows 10 rather than migrating to Linux.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I've considered Linux several times. The problem I have is some software I need isn't available with Linux. I haven't checked out Chrome OS, but suspect I'd be lacking in the same area. I've looked at MX Linux which I did like, and Ubuntu which is okay but just doesn't appeal to me, and Slackware which I think is not really for beginners. Zorin is one I've never looked at.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Not gonna happen. Most likely they'll keep using unsupported outdated Windows 10 rather than migrating to Linux.
I don't know. Things are changing.

A lot of hardware manufacturers are already moving away from the old Windows-Intel monopoly and the result is often cheaper, faster and more secure devices. I don't see the pace of this slowing down. Most home users are interested in email, browsing the Internet, looking at photos, gaming and word processing. A lot of these things don't need vast computing power while more demanding activities are becoming available online (such as streaming games or renting virtual desktops).

Many business systems may depend on Windows. But does the average home user really need Windows anymore ? By forcing prople off Windows 10, Microsoft risk pushing people off their ecosystem permanently.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I don't know. Things are changing.

A lot of hardware manufacturers are already moving away from the old Windows-Intel monopoly and the result is often cheaper, faster and more secure devices. I don't see the pace of this slowing down. Most home users are interested in email, browsing the Internet, looking at photos, gaming and word processing. A lot of these things don't need vast computing power while more demanding activities are becoming available online (such as streaming games or renting virtual desktops).

Many business systems may depend on Windows. But does the average home user really need Windows anymore ? By forcing prople off Windows 10, Microsoft risk pushing people off their ecosystem permanently.
You described me. I use the beast for internet browsing (research for novels and screenplays), word processing, and social media. Email is for shipping a script and contracts for the books, etc. I can't remember the last time I wrote an email to someone. I catch them on GAB or Farcebook. I don't need a super dooper, high powered, laptop with the latest OS, or anything more than minimal RAM. No gaming or anything else other than Youtube to kick back and listen to music.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Microsoft will have to address the the elephant in the room in the coming years. Macbooks, Mac minis have changed a lot for good, it's faster, more efficient and effective. If I had to buy a desktop I'll surely buy a Mac mini now and will be happy with it. Microsoft will be forced to go arm-soc model if they want to be competitive in the market. The x86 days are getting numbered for atleast the home consumers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.