threedots's Configuration

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
It doesn't act as an overlay, so other windows/intrusions can actually cover the UAC popup. Overall, UAC at maximum is recommended as it is the only setting that notifies you if Windows settings are being changed. Default/Dim only notify you for app changes.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Nice configuration there.

ReHips is such a good program which you need patience to setup for convenience.

Another option is you can have SecureAplus as your whitelisting/securoty program.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
It doesn't act as an overlay, so other windows/intrusions can actually cover the UAC popup. Overall, UAC at maximum is recommended as it is the only setting that notifies you if Windows settings are being changed. Default/Dim only notify you for app changes.
There is no need to crank up UAC to maximum. If it was supposed to be like that, then default settings would me already cranked up.

Default settings on UAC is as good as it is for average user.

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
There is no need to crank up UAC to maximum. If it was supposed to be like that, then default settings would me already cranked up.

Default settings on UAC is as good as it is for average user.
Right. He's got options. I was just answering his question of difference.

Reactions: kaerula3 and SHvFl

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Is Rehips also an AV?

Everybody say ok so I suppose it can replace an AV?

Thank you for sharing :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kaerula3 and SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Seems good to me. You see to have covered all angles.
I would replace the local account with a outlook account because from what i saw the local one can be bypassed easily. That's assuming someone physical access to your pc.

@Dirk41 Rehips isolates application(an isolated application can't do anything to the real user profile and files) that are at risk and you can isolate any application you wish(don't do security software they will lose their purpose because they will not be able to access anything).
Also it has parent child monitoring which is basically an advanced anti exe.

I use Rehips since the start so if you need any more info pm me.I don't want to mess this topic.

If you know what you are doing and you are careful an AV is irrelevant. At least the signature part of the antivirus, the behaviour blocker if it has one has a use.

kaerula3

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
@Evandro @Dirk41 as @SHvFl said, I've ditched AVs for more than a year without getting infected while system performance has been increased since then. I rarely (carefully) open unknown files and sites so I guess my chance of being compromised is even lower.

Also thinking of adding Appguard. Sad that they no more offers trial without providing credit card (not available for me now) :(

Reactions: SHvFl

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hmmm... Your opnions on adding KasperskyAR to my config? :rolleyes:
it's Ok but I'm not sure if it's light or not. It consumes ~80-100Mb of RAM and it's a cloud-signature based product so it may help sometimes to decide if an app is malicious or not. You can try to run it for a while and decide. It's free so no reason not to try ;)

Reactions: SHvFl and kaerula3

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.