Advice Request Thunderbird 64 bits

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
On a personal laptop I'm using Thunderbird 32 bits.
Is it useful to upgrade for Thunderbird 64 bits ?
If yes, is it necessary to uninstall TB 32 bits ? and if yes is it necessary to reinstall all my mail accounts, and how can I recover all my previous mails ?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
No need to uninstall 32 bit versions. Just install from the 64 bit installer and you're good to go.
And you can always backup your Thunderbird profile. The profile is located at "C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles".
Here there's gonna be a folder named something like ".......default" if you're using the stable version. Copy this folder somewhere else if you ever need to uninstall Thunderbird or reinstall Windows. After a fresh Thunderbird install, run it once. Then go the same profile folder location and there's gonna be a ".....default" folder. The name of the folder will be different from your previous one but that's not a problem. Just copy contents of the previous profile into the new one and replace anything it asks for. Run Thunderbird and everything's gonna be just as it was before.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
No need to uninstall 32 bit versions. Just install from the 64 bit installer and you're good to go.
And you can always backup your Thunderbird profile. The profile is located at "C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles".
Here there's gonna be a folder named something like ".......default" if you're using the stable version. Copy this folder somewhere else if you ever need to uninstall Thunderbird or reinstall Windows. After a fresh Thunderbird install, run it once. Then go the same profile folder location and there's gonna be a ".....default" folder. The name of the folder will be different from your previous one but that's not a problem. Just copy contents of the previous profile into the new one and replace anything it asks for. Run Thunderbird and everything's gonna be just as it was before.
Thanks @SeriousHoax for the explanations.
I will try ASAP.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.