Tillpott's Security

Tillpott

Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
Not sure what my OS is XP 32 or 64 bit ??? Where would I find that information Please ?

I read on another Forum discussing SMART HDD - (which I am in the process of removing and repairing) that this forum would be able to give me some advice to tighten things up to help prevent another Smart HDD or similar attack.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Lynne (Tillpott)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
RE: Help with Security advice

To know what's your full information then go to Start menu --------> Control Panel ---------> and click "System".

Well for browsers you can use either Firefox or Google Chrome since the latest version of IE is only available for Vista and 7. (IE was the most targeted by the hackers for vulnerabilities)

Since your beginner you need to be extra precautionary measures on the sites you visit and files you download. (Make sure download from known source and trusted)

For Realtime Avira Free is fine and for firewall then PC Tools Firewall Plus is capable at your level. You may remove Winpatrol Free even though its a classic HIPS that realtime occurs by intervals like every 4 minutes or depends on the settings.

On demand scanners you may add Hitman Pro,

Browsing a sites that unfamiliar then use Sandboxie. This program design to isolate your surfing and files will only run inside the virtualize environment once its activated. So no harm when a virus attack your computer.

Tillpott

Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks

I have FireFox downlaoded as a backup browser - you recommend that I change totally to that and leave IE for good?

I am actually Intermediate - my mistake was thinking of Hubby !!! LOL

Are these other programs you mentioned FREE as funds are limited.

Ta

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Those programs I recommended were free.

Well Firefox is a fine browser and you can default it. And some addons that's capable for Firefox.

WOT (Web of Trust) a siteadvisor version, Adblock Plus (Blocks advertisement for faster browsing), and LastPass (Password Storage Manager).

Tillpott

Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
kewl - will get started as soon as smart hdd is taken care of.

thanks again

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
RE: Help with Security advice

@Tillpott
jamescv7 said:
To know what's your full information then go to Start menu --------> Control Panel ---------> and click "System".

After doing what James said to you, if your edition is 64-bit it will display "x64 Edition" next to your OS name:

Credit: Tom's Hardware

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would suggest using some sort of sandboxing, a different AV and a more secure web browser. Here are a few suggestions:

Virtualisation:

Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - More Info
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

OR

BufferZone Pro (Free) - More Info
BufferZone is the only security software that creates a separate environment allowing you unlimited freedom to enjoy all Internet activities without the fear of external threats. BufferZone starts where your anti-virus stops.
PS: I am unsure if BZP supports Windows XP 64-bit.

Anti-Virus:

Avast 7 Free Antivirus - More Info

OR

Panda Cloud AV Free - More Info

Web Browser:

Google Chrome - More Info
Benefits:
- Silent Updates
- Flash Player (updates with Chrome)
- Built-in PDF (can be used as offline PDF reader)
- Built-in MP3 (can play audio files .mp3 from the web)

On-Demand Tools/Scanners

VirusTotal Uploader - More Info
Right-click target file > Send To > VirusTotal > Opens results your default web browser

HitmanPro - More Info
Right-click target file > Scan with HitmanPro
PS: No need to Activate, unless needed for malware removal.

What extensions do you use on your web browser?

Tillpott

Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks to all who have replied - seems I do need to do some housekeeping (once SMART HDD has been removed)

My System Properties does not show 32 bit or 64 bit

I have tried to attach a screen dump but am having no success.

It says:
System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Vereion 2002
Service Pack 3

(Off topic - How do I do a screen dump or add an attachment in this Forum please)

Also - I don't know what you mean by "extensions on my web browser"

Bit blonde sorry !!!

Kind regards

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Tillpott said:
Thanks to all who have replied - seems I do need to do some housekeeping (once SMART HDD has been removed)

My System Properties does not show 32 bit or 64 bit

I have tried to attach a screen dump but am having no success.

It says:
System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Vereion 2002
Service Pack 3

(Off topic - How do I do a screen dump or add an attachment in this Forum please)

Also - I don't know what you mean by "extensions on my web browser"

Bit blonde sorry !!!

Kind regards

Here is neat picture-by-picture guide to taking a screenshot in Windows XP:
http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/xp/take-a-screenshot-or-screen-capture-in-windows-xp/

Follow this for Step 3
If you do not have Run in the Start Menu -do not worry- try the step from:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/setup/take-a-screen-shot

Windows XP Home Edition will be 32-bit only. - More Info (see N/A under 64-bit, meaning there is no 64-bit for Home Edition users)

Hope this helps. :D

Before continuing any further, I recommend creating a new thread HERE, to ensure full removal of any existing malware problems.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you are using 64 bit then assuming no application would work on that type of OS for XP. Generally a low of 1% may only work.

D

Deleted member 178

i'm 99% sure that you are using a 32 bit version of XP, especially if it the OS included in the computer you bought.

I really suggest you to install a real Firewall (WinXP firewall is a joke), Comodo Firewall is very good but i worry that as a beginner you will not be able to handle its HIPS component.

Some simple and free Firewall exists, i.e Zone Alarm free

Feel free to try it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.