DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
hello everybody
I want to discuss the difference between Tiny wall and simple wall from features and protection restrictions mechanisms
I think Tiny wall is for configuring advanced windows firewall rules however simple wall is for managing WFP (windows filtering platform)
Which is better for protection? less in conflicts after configuration ?? Has many effects as a defense mechanism?
correct me if any of my understanding is wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I think Tiny wall is for configuring advanced windows firewall rules however simple wall is for managing WFP (windows filtering platform)
TinyWall is moving to WFP soon so both are going to be the same in this scenario. Both block all outbound and inbound by default. SimpleWall has the notification function so when a program tries to access internet it would ask you whether allow/block permanently or temporarily. TinyWall doesn't have the notification function but allow whitelisting by running window and also has a learning mode. Both gives the option to create your own rules. Both are great and efficient. For me personally, the main major difference is the notification function so I prefer SimpleWall.
oldschool uses and follows TinyWall development I think. He knows more about it :)
Anyway, both are simple and easy to use. Give both a try and decide.

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
I am currently running SimpleWall 3.0.9 and like it better than Sphinx Windows 10 Firewall Control due to its boot time filters, port scanning prevention, filter protection, telemetry blocking and it has a much better GUI than Sphinx. Henry++ seems to have worked out all the bugs as it has ran flawlessly on my system, and is very lite. However, my second choice would be Sphinx Windows 10 Firewall Control "Plus", because it too does not rely on Windows Firewall being turned on and uses WFP, blocks telemetry and is very lite also. However it costs $. Regarding TinyWall... I ran it a long time ago and didn't really care for its lack of notification function, and relying on Windows Firewall running, which can be disabled at any time. Also sometimes it's supported and the rest of the time it's not. Call it part time abandonware.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
TinyWall is moving to WFP soon so both are going to be the same in this scenario. Both block all outbound and inbound by default. SimpleWall has the notification function so when a program tries to access internet it would ask you whether allow/block permanently or temporarily. TinyWall doesn't have the notification function but allow whitelisting by running window and also has a learning mode. Both gives the option to create your own rules. Both are great and efficient. For me personally, the main major difference is the notification function so I prefer SimpleWall.
oldschool uses and follows TinyWall development I think. He knows more about it :)
Anyway, both are simple and easy to use. Give both a try and decide.
i am also prefer the notification function.like real time interactive software in general in protection especially

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I voted for Tiny Wall. I am currently using a beta version.
According to @ultim , TinyWall doesn't seem to consider implementing a notification function.
I used to use a simple wall for a short time. I remember that if I didn't revert the rules when I uninstalled, the rules would still be applied after the removal.
Maybe I did something wrong somewhere.;)

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
henry "simple wall developer " recommend disable windows firewall as below quote from his reply in GitHub
When WF enabled, his filters applied before any WFP provider (SW as example).
Any kind of software can be changed WF filter configuration, not even viruses or any kind of harmfull software, it can be done by any software you are installed (steam, utorrent, even nsis installer have feature like this, etc).

So i recommend to disable WF, because i am not responsible for effects like this.

ultim

Level 2
Oct 13, 2011
I'm not going to vote since I could be accused of not being objective (as the developer of TinyWall), but I will note for future readers that TinyWall has fully transitioned to WFP too, so at least as far as the firewall technology is concerned, there is absolutely no difference between Simplewall and TinyWall. All the differences come down to the user-interface and how well the WFP is utilized.

Also, Windows Firewall's rules do not take priority over TinyWall, as opposed to Simplewall's case (as quoted by @DDE_Server above).

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I'm not going to vote since I could be accused of not being objective (as the developer of TinyWall), but I will note for future readers that TinyWall has fully transitioned to WFP too, so at least as far as the firewall technology is concerned, there is absolutely no difference between Simplewall and TinyWall. All the differences come down to the user-interface and how well the WFP is utilized.

Also, Windows Firewall's rules do not take priority over TinyWall, as opposed to Simplewall's case (as quoted by @DDE_Server above).
Thanks alot @ultim for your reply i am already using Tinywall version 3 . it is simple yet effective and very stable.thanks a lot or your efforts :):)

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

i have tried to install tiny three times and it hangs at see screenshot. using win 10 latest insider build and cant cancel out of it.
ScreenHunter_146 Mar. 28 14.20.jpg

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
i have tried to install tiny three times and it hangs at see screenshot. using Windows 10 latest insider build and cant cancel out of it.
View attachment 235693
TW works fine in most environments, but I feel it's also a bit delicate software when it comes to installation.Even in my environment, I had symptoms such as not starting up after installation.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Not really as long as the software is safe. Most open source apps are not digitally signed. Even though both are free, SimpleWall is an open source app and TinyWall is not.
you are right i use qbittorrent is not digitally signed . but it avoid a lot of false positive detection by most AV engines when it is digitally signed

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Not really as long as the software is safe. Most open source apps are not digitally signed. Even though both are free, SimpleWall is an open source app and TinyWall is not.
OpenSource doesn't mean that the tool is safe ;)
It just mean that you can read the code - if you understand it. And also this doesn't mean that this code is realy used in the end. For that, a reproducable build is needed.

A lot of people nowadays are blended by "it's OpenSource it must be secure then" which is very dangerous. But well, this end in too much offtopic and i get your point as i use SimpleWall by myself yor a long time (sinve v1) and i love OpenSource generally.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.