TKFlight's Laptop Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Do you use any browser extensions or a DNS?
You run Kubuntu?
Best operating system (variation) ever.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Real-time protection: Avast 6!

You are using Avast6! Free ..right?

Additional on-demand scanner:
Hitman Pro (Trial) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed.

Additional browser plugins
VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.
More Info

LastPass (Free/) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

Virtualization:
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.
More details - link

Extra protection:
EMET 2 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) (Free) - link
EMET provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

What tools are you using for maintenance?
Any type of backup?

:eek:fftopic: - :welcomewave:

TKFlight

Thread author
May 19, 2011
I agree with you elliot, Kubuntu is amazing.

Yes, I am using Avast 6! free I should of specified. I'm planning on adding EMET 2, Hitman Pro, and VTZilla. Not really sure that I need Sandboxie. I'm planning on backing up my laptop soon, I just reformatted it to get rid of all that pre-loaded crap.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Now that Sandboxie works on 64bits ,you should take advantage and run your browser sandboxed at least when you do some random/dangerous surfing....Avast Free doesn't have an on-demand sandbox..so this should increase your level of security.

TKFlight

Thread author
May 19, 2011
Seems like a good idea. I'll update this thread when everything is complete.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Hi TKFlight, I second Jacks recommendation to use Sandboxie. Using SBIE
will protect you more than any real time antivirus, according to my own
personal experience.
Since the day I installed SBIE for the first time, two and a half years ago,
viruses have stayed away. They don't knock on my door anymore, even
though I still surf the same sites that I did when I used to get infected.

Bo

TKFlight

Thread author
May 19, 2011
I don't even know the last time I've used Sandboxie. I think I used it a few times when I had my old desktop that ran Win7 32-bit. Other than that I haven't used it. Thanks for the suggestion though, maybe I will add it. I tried to install VTzilla but it said that it wasn't compatible with FF 4.0.1.

D

Deleted member 178

yes VTzilla is not compatible, it is why i use VT uploader

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Not sure when they will update Vtzilla since they released FF version 4 its not compatible as far as I know.

TKFlight

Thread author
May 19, 2011
Don't understand that either James. I'm probably going to add VT uploader like Umbrapolaris said. As of right now that is my config, will make a system image in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.