Advice Request Too many Port scan network attacks!!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shukla44

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Hello,
I am just wondering if anything is wrong with kaspersky or i have a malware. I keep getting network attacks blocked notification from kaspersky. It is often when i have qbittorrent open. This started a few days ago. I have been using qbittorrent for years now. I don't know what to do or if i can do anything. Anyone has any idea?
Regards.

Attachments

• Screenshot00037.jpg
    Screenshot00037.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 1,736

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Downloading/sharing via any Torrent software can be dangerous to deliver any kind of malware.
Of course, something like false-positive is always possible as well.

You may see a few related URL being still blocked by K. then you can send it to VT and check there...

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
There is the possibility that there are seeders (IP) among them known by Kaspersky that have been marked as malicious, DDoS bots or port scanners. Would not be the first time. Of course False positives are a thing too, but can't hurt to scan the files too.

Given the nature of how torrent are downloaded and shared by directly connecting multiple IP's to both download and upload files. This is expected behaviour. Kaspersky in this case just detected an 'foreign' connection trying to scan your network ports. Scan.Generic.PortScan.[x] where as [x] is the variable that shows what type of connection it is like TCP and UDP. Seeing as all the "attacking computer IP's" are from the same IP, that IP can (or not) belong to a party (or person) that does port scanning and perhaps even DDoS (which are more common nowadays over torrents).

shukla44

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I changed some settings in qbittorrent, didn't get any attacks.
Downloading/sharing via any Torrent software can be dangerous to deliver any kind of malware.
Of course, something like false-positive is always possible as well.

You may see a few related URL being still blocked by K. then you can send it to VT and check there...
Funny thing, currently no torrents are in queue.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I always disable (untick) "use different port on startup" or equivalent on different clients. Whenever I use torrent I also use my vpn service (airvpn) as the only connection, to mitigate some of these attacks. Since they allow opening of specific ports in the client interface, I used that port instead. Even without, it saves you trouble if you look back in your network logs, since port 98765 (example) is the only port used for your torrents. If something funny shows on that port, you know immediately through what it happened. :D

shukla44

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.