Status
Not open for further replies.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Has anyone tried this? Is it as good as truecrypt?

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Yes it is almost same but it only uses AES 256 to encrypt your data where in truecrypt you have other options
You Can consider it has stripped down user friendly version of truecrypt

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
as in any software encryption there are work a rounds. If your extremely paranoid (like me) and you like wasting, i mean spending, you could purchase a fde hard drive. The keys get store in hardware and not software, only known hack for that is cold booting and stupidity.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Not everyone uses hard drive for encryption but yes If you have extra $$ to spend then FDE Hard Drive may be a Good solution

Disk encryption vs. filesystem-level encryption

Disk encryption does not replace file or directory encryption in all situations. Disk encryption is sometimes used in conjunction with filesystem-level encryption with the intention of providing a more secure implementation. Since disk encryption generally uses the same key for encrypting the whole volume, all data is decryptable when the system runs. However, some disk encryption solutions use multiple keys for encrypting different partitions. If an attacker gains access to the computer at run-time, the attacker has access to all files. Conventional file and folder encryption instead allows different keys for different portions of the disk. Thus an attacker cannot extract information from still-encrypted files and folders.
Unlike disk encryption, filesystem-level encryption does not typically encrypt filesystem metadata, such as the directory structure, file names, modification timestamps or sizes.

Source

Read Here Before Going for FDE

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Thanks guys, I ain't got money to waste I mean spend lol so i'll try bsafe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.