Top 5 Internet Security Suites 2012?

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I've seen a bunch of different lists which I really don't agree with, so i'm gonna go out on a limb and pick my top 5 IS suites of 2012 from what i've read and watched reviews...Please reply with your opinions.

Comodo IS
Emsisoft IS
Avast IS
Vipre IS
BitDefender IS

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
bitdefender doesnt even worth trying but try replacing it with GDATA IS which uses avast and bitdefender engine.
emsisoft is not technically an IS but EAM+OA so its 2 programs plus eam lacks some features that major IS's have but they have very good detection rate.
comodo has many FP's so i wouldnt recommend it to any beginner si i would replace these 2 with Kaserpsky IS and maybe symantec?

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Thanks for your input woomera, I was struggling with choices for number 5, I also like eset and have heard good things about kaspersky but have seen good reviews on BD is why I chose it.

D

Deleted member 178

i will say (in disorder):

Comodo IS, Emsisoft IS (the name of EAM & OAP combo), Avast IS, Norton IS, Vipre IS

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
I really dont understand on what basis u guys are classifying CIS...cozz its in a completely different stream according to me...its on a HIPS streaam and user dependecy other products are all user friendly 98%

D

Deleted member 178

MRF71 said:
Nobody likes BD? lol thanks umbra

i was a user of BD long time ago until it screwed my PC

malwarekiller said:
I really dont understand on what basis u guys are classifying CIS...cozz its in a completely different stream according to me...its on a HIPS streaam and user dependecy other products are all user friendly 98%

i dont judge an suite by its user-friendliness but by its power to repelled malwares from my computer and for their resources usage, at this game CIS is the best with NIS

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Don't know if i am correct or not but without eset,kaspersky and norton the list is incomplete and I think the above 5 you mention should be term as "MRF71 top 5 chice" rather than "best internet security 2012".

If i have choice to vote from above 5 i will surely go with AIS

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Top 5 based on protection, user friendly, bugs, false positives and system resources.

1. Eset Security Suite
2. Avast Security Suite
3. AVG Internet Security Suite
4. Avira Security Suite
5. G Data Internet Security Suite

Reason why some others didn't make my list:

-Kaspersky, heavy system resources.
-Emsisoft IS, high false positives and not user friendly.
-Norton IS, high false positives because of community watch and hard to allow exclusions (user friendly).
-BitDefender, complete bloatware, heavy on system resources and bugs.
-Comodo IS, not user friendly, blocks many safe processes without notifications, high false positives and bugs.
-VIPRE, has many bugs each time I have tried it, especially the update bug where updates fail constantly and the firewall continues to block connections no matter what you do.
-PC Tools IS- complete crap, too many problems to list them all.
-F-Secure, extremely large takes up too much disk space and continues to grow with each update.
-McAfee IS, do I really need to start? I believe everyone already knows.

Never tried the following, because I don't have any experience with them, therefore I could say anything good or bad about them:

Of coarse I have read reviews and then never appealed to me.

-TrendMicro IS
-Norman IS
-Dr. Web IS
-Panda IS
-Rising IS
-FortiClient Suite

Thanks.:D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
On the ones that I have tested. The ones that I have to say are my top 5 IS suites are, and this is what I have tested and prefer,

Trend Micro IS (I'm using the Max version)
Avast IS
ESET SS
G-Data IS
Comodo IS

Reason for Trend Micro is that the web guard is really good, the AV might not be but if you are confronted with a web block screen a normal person would just leave the website they are trying to access which is what I like. It's firewall booster is great as well, because if you have the Windows Firewall configured to FULL protection then you will be able to boost that a little bit more with Trend. The features that it has is optional.

Reason for Avast IS is that the sandbox is really good from what I have tested. Also the general AV is good, because most of the links that I through at it got blocked, might of let a couple through, but not all AV's are perfect.

ESET Smart Security because of it HIPS rules that you can set. I love it how it has the option to change from Interactive and Learning. It's AV is great, but the only thing that I have to say that I don't really like about it is that the firewall can be improved.

Well with G-Data IS, it has to be great because it has 2 AV's in it, Avast and Bitdefender. I like it because if Avast engines miss it then Bitdefender will catch it. Only thing I have to say about G-Data is that it sometimes uses a lot of ram.

Last but not least Comodo IS, people might say it's a great suite for advanced people that actually know what they are doing with computers It's firewall is excellent in every way and it's AV engine is also good. The only draw back I have to is that it has so many settings and once you uninstall it, let's say for instance then you will have to remember what configuration you had last time to set it to the current one.

For the ones that I have not mentioned are:

Kaspersky, because it uses a lot of system resources.
Norton IS, it's a great suite don't get me wrong but with the tests that I have done with it, it had to many FP.
PC Tools IS, never really tried it to give it a fair go.
F-Secure, really really heavy on resources.
McAfee IS, really there was such an IS suite as this? :s

This is all my opinion and what I have stated is all the tests that I have done.

D

Deleted member 178

10 self-made tests are more informative than hundreds done by labs.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Wow lots of opinions here, I agree with the mcafee comments lol...CIS can be a pain for novice users and even intermediate like myself but if you set it a certain way it can be pretty quiet depending on what you do ofcourse.

I am merely going by what I have seen,read and from my own tests, thanks for the feedback.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MRF71 said:
I am merely going by what I have seen,read and from my own tests, thanks for the feedback.

Glad that we could help you ;)

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
duno why everyone sayin Kaspersky is a resource hug, it was the only AV that was best compatible runnin with emsisoft and mbam for me and its only using 80 mb of ram which i know is not low but also not heavy. i have used gdata for about 2 years and it used more than 100 mb all the time.
tbh from version 2010 and earlier i had this idea of KAS being heavy but gave the 2012 a try and i was rally surprised.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
woomera said:
duno why everyone sayin Kaspersky is a resource hug, it was the only AV that was best compatible runnin with emsisoft and mbam for me and its only using 80 mb of ram which i know is not low but also not heavy. i have used gdata for about 2 years and it used more than 100 mb all the time.
tbh from version 2010 and earlier i had this idea of KAS being heavy but gave the 2012 a try and i was rally surprised.

When I said Kaspersky uses too may system resources, I referring to the drag that it puts on system response time. It doesn't make a difference how much RAM a program uses or CPU, some programs will add a drain on system response time where other won't have much affect.

G Data for example may use more RAM but still doesn't effect the system response time like Kaspersky does. And yes I'm talking about 2012 version. Of coarse Kaspersky has improved on the 2012 version but still adds lags to system response time. If you have a high performance system, you may not notice the lag but on a system with med to low performance you will immediately notice the lag. Most users don't have high performance systems, therefore that is why they say it is a system resource hog.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

KIS is ''heavy'' compared to Norton IS (around 20mb), Comodo IS (around 15-20mb), etc... Most suite now run under 60mb.
80mb seems small when most systems have 4gb of RAM but it is an indicator.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
woomera said:

It also depends on how good your system is, on how good Kaspersky runs. On some machines it will run really slow because they don't have as much RAM and CPU power as others.

G-Data I see why it would use a lot because of it's to AV engines that it has in it. It has Avast and Bitdefender. Bitdefender in it's self is heavy-ish, so adding it with Avast makes it heavier.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
No PC is the same, Where one might experience decreased performance with a certain security suite, Another might not. All down to personal opinions and not facts.

Thanks. :)

iScream

Dec 7, 2011
MrXidus said:
[...]Where one might experience decreased performance with a certain security suite, Another might not. All down to personal opinions and not facts.
If I experience slowness that is a fact and not personal opinion.
If a security suite such as Bitdefender contains too many bugs and is a resource hog, that isn't a personal opinion, but a fact as well.
Making a top X list may be based on personal opinion, but facts play in it too.
But you need to find the balance and don't say McAfee and others are good enough for the top 5.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
iScream said:
If I experience slowness that is a fact and not personal opinion.

Call it a personal fact then, because others running the suite may not have the same problem.

iScream said:
If a security suite such as Bitdefender contains too many bugs and is a resource hog, that isn't a personal opinion, but a fact as well.

If it is a resource hog on every system it is installed on, then sure. If it is only a resource hog on a small subset of systems, again, more of an anecdotal personal experience.

In a nutshell, MrXidus is saying, try them yourself and decide which one(s) you like.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.