Advice Request Top 5 VPN (TechRadar.com)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN do you use?

• IPVanish VPN

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • NordVPN

• Hotspot Shield (Inc. Kaspersky)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • TigerVPN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KeepSolid VPN Unlimited

• Other -

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
TechRadar.com:

"Yes, there are some difficult choices to be made for sure, which is exactly why we’ve done all the legwork and selected our five best VPN services for Windows across various different categories. You won’t go wrong with any of these."

1. IPVanish - Best all-round VPN

Number of servers: 700+ | Server locations: 60+ | IP addresses: 40000+ | Maximum devices supported: 5

+ Excellent client
+ Great performance
- A bit more expensive than some
- No free trial

2. NordVPN - Most secure VPN

Number of servers: 759 | Server locations: 56 | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 6

+ Double data encryption
+ Strict no logs policy
- Only one device on the same server with the same protocol
- No free trial

3. Hotspot Shield - Best balance of performance and price

Number of servers: N/A | Server locations: 20 | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 5

+ Fairly cheap pricing
+ Fast download speeds
- Few server locations
- Limited configuration options

4. TigerVPN - Best VPN for novice users

Number of servers: 300+ | Server locations: 62 | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 2-5

+ Great performance
+ Free 500MB/month plan
- Overly basic client
- Minimum of two connections

5. KeepSolid VPN Unlimited - Most affordable VPN

Number of servers: 300+ | Server locations: 50+ | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 5

+ Good performance
+ Great plan selection
- Scarce torrent support
- Server choice is less than some rivals

If any, which VPN do you use for Windows desktop?
List 2 Pros and 2 Cons you have found which you preferred VPN.

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
I use NordVPN and IP Vanish VPN, both are great. Although, I'm not trying to be too critical but I think this was a paid review. First off, I'd start by saying no VPN provider is perfect. IP Vanish is good, they own their own servers and have full control over them though speeds aren't great. They also claim to have no logs, which is always a good sign. Nothing bad for them except for limited support in some cases and a speed downfall. Next is Nord VPN, their my main provider. Though their windows client is slightly buggy sometimes, their servers are extremely fast. Also with no logs but ipv6 is tended to leak. They have live chat support which is almost always up.

The next 3 i'm not so sure about. I've tested VPN unlimited on a trial as well as hotspot shield. In turn, Tiger VPN is a new startup I believe. VPN Unlimited has DNS leak issues and keeps logs. Also, don't be fooled by their 'Lifetime' Plan. Lifetime refers to the life span or cycle of the product being 5 years.

Hotspot Shield is absolute trash in terms of virtually everything, and i'm sure everyone can agree on that. As for tiger VPN, if they can't get fast web hosting i doubt they can get fast servers.

I've just read Tiger VPN's Subscriptions and i would stay as far away as possible from them. The fact that they develop applications for all platforms is pretty good, only problem? They give you an alternative VPN client for mac, apparently valued at $50. Why would you get third party software when you develop your own? Obviously shows a lack of effort put into their own applications as they probably don't want users to use something made by them...

Also, why does Tiger look like a copy of Vypr VPN and HMA VPN Combined LOL

So all in all, some of these services are good, others not so much. I'd recommend going with Express VPN, even though not being listed, if you go off reviews they are pretty decent. I've been with them for a year and had no problems.

My Fingers hurt :c

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Terrible list.

Not one of those vpn's is recommended by privacy experts. The list is trash.

Advice for all people looking for a vpn service is to DO YOUR RESEARCH! DO NOT TRUST VPN REVIEW SITES!

Great links. Reddit and That One Privacy Guy and Wilders are the only place to get fair balanced unbiased vpn reviews on the clear web.

D

Deleted member 2913

ExpressVPN & WindscribeVPN Pro (MalwareTips Giveaways Win:))

I use on-demand i.e start with Windows disabled

ExpressVPN ---
Pros ---
Good speed
Unlimited Devices But simultaneously 3 in use
Windows/Android GUI is clean & good.
Few countries with multiple servers (multiple servers grouped under country...good & easy)
Light on resources/system

Cons ---
Takes little time to connect...not very long but still
No auto/manual update feature...there is nothing in the GUI And product upgrade was there, I waited for few days for auto-update/upgrade & nothing...finally downloaded the latest version from my account.
Decent support...contacted support 1 time & was replied in 6-7 days.

WindscribeVPN Pro ---
Pros ---
Good speed
Unlimited Devices
Windows GUI is clean & good
Connects fast
Excellent support...contacted support couple times & was replied under 24 hours...I think it was the boss himself i.e vendor/owner And seems a terrific guy.

Cons ---
No native Android app
Couple countries with multiple servers (multiple servers not grouped under country...would be good & easy if grouped)
No auto/manual update feature...there is nothing in the GUI...dont know if notifies for update/upgrade...manually downloaded/installed the latest version.
On every start, it sign-in you...wish it didn't & start directly...its quick but still

I have noticed that quite a few VPN software dont have update feature in the GUI...dont understand why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Thought I would post this again since it's relevant to the thread.

Find a well respected vpn company, buy a subscription (5 to 15 EURO per month depending on vpn company)) and use their native windows/macOS/Linux client. If you want you can use the native openvpn client and use the supplied .ovpn files. All good vpn companies supply .ovpn config files.

Anyone of these companies will be a good choice. These have been tried and tested by the privacy community. They do not leak dns or your real i.p. They have excellent privacy policies and a good record in protecting users and keeping them safe.

www.airvpn.org
www.ivpn.net
www.perfect-privacy.com
www.mullvad.net
www.openvpn.to
www.vpnarea.com
www.securevpn.to
www.frootvpn.com
www.zorrovpn.com
www.bolehvpn.net

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
ExpressVPN & WindscribeVPN Pro (MalwareTips Giveaways Win:))

I use on-demand i.e start with Windows disabled

ExpressVPN ---
Pros ---
Good speed
Unlimited Devices But simultaneously 3 in use
Windows/Android GUI is clean & good.
Few countries with multiple servers (multiple servers grouped under country...good & easy)

Cons ---
Takes little time to connect...not very long but still
No auto/manual update feature...there is nothing in the GUI And product upgrade was there, I waited for few days for auto-update/upgrade & nothing...finally downloaded the latest version from my account.
Decent support...contacted support 1 time & was replied in 6-7 days.

WindscribeVPN Pro ---
Pros ---
Good speed
Unlimited Devices
Windows GUI is clean & good
Connects fast
Excellent support...contacted support couple times & was replied under 24 hours...I think it was the boss himself i.e vendor/owner And seems a terrific guy.

Cons ---
No native Android app
Couple countries with multiple servers (multiple servers not grouped under country...would be good & easy if grouped)
No auto/manual update feature...there is nothing in the GUI...dont know if notifies for update/upgrade...manually downloaded/installed the latest version.
On every start, it sign-in you...wish it didn't & start directly...its quick but still

I have noticed that quite a few VPN software dont have update feature in the GUI...dont understand why?
Regarding your Cons

You have the option under Preferences not to launch on start-up. If you sign-out then the next time you'll need to sign-in when you start Windscribe. So do you prefer this or auto sign-in?

D

Deleted member 2913

Regarding your Cons

You have the option under Preferences not to launch on start-up. If you sign-out then the next time you'll need to sign-in when you start Windscribe
You got me wrong...I meant I use on-demand so when I start it, the GUI will open & mention "awesome, logging you in"...its quick but still wish start directly.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 55474

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
TechRadar.com:
2. NordVPN - Most secure VPN

Number of servers: 759 | Server locations: 56 | IP addresses: N/A | Maximum devices supported: 6

+ Double data encryption
+ Strict no logs policy
- Only one device on the same server with the same protocol
- No free trial
Incorrect, they have a 3-day trial, you have to email them to activate it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
In my evaluation I have shortlisted

VPN.ac and AirVPN as my primary VPNs and

SecureVPN.to, OVPN.se and Cryptostorm are still under evaluation

Nope. I have not subscribe to any mentioned. I based on users' reviews/feedback at Reddit and at those VPN reviews, Wilders Security Forums and ThatOnePrivacySite to make decisions

If you are going for good speed, feature-rich etc VPNs at the expense of privacy then those with more than a few hundred servers would do the job nicely for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.