Advice Request Top 5 VPN (TechRadar.com)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN do you use?

• IPVanish VPN

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • NordVPN

• Hotspot Shield (Inc. Kaspersky)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • TigerVPN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KeepSolid VPN Unlimited

• Other -

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Here's how it works

1. Program told to open
  2. Program loads / opens
  3. GUI is shown
  4. Account is verified and logged in to
  5. Connection is made depending on whether you have auto connect on / off
And all these plus the time it connects to the server (depending on its location from you)

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

Here's how it works

1. Program told to open
  2. Program loads / opens
  3. GUI is shown
  4. Account is verified and logged in to
  5. Connection is made depending on whether you have auto connect on / off
And I meant, it should be ---
  1. Program told to open
  2. Program loads / opens
  3. GUI is shown
  4. Connection is made depending on whether you have auto connect on / off
Account is verified and logged in to...why Windscribe do this? I have mentioned its quick & no probs But why not like other VPN? Any specific reason/security, etc?
I use ExpressVPN too...it doesn't do that.
I have tried couple other VPN...those didn't do that.

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
  1. Program told to open
  2. Program loads / opens
  3. GUI is shown
Account is verified and logged in to...why Windscribe do this? I have mentioned its quick & no probs But why not like other VPN? Any specific reason/security, etc?
This you'll need to check with Windscribe. You can suggest to them and see whether they can improve on the start-up

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
  1. Program told to open
  2. Program loads / opens
  3. GUI is shown
This is because of the way their API or verification works. It logs into your account, grabs account info. There would be 2 causes for it not working - 1. Application error, 2. Fast load

If a program loads before network drivers load, it won't have access to the internet meaning you'll probably get an error for no internet connection, if it's something more such as API i'm unsure but try delaying startup

D

Deleted member 2913

If a program loads before network drivers load, it won't have access to the internet meaning you'll probably get an error for no internet connection, if it's something more such as API i'm unsure but try delaying startup
But the above applies to Windscribe set to "start with Windows + auto-connect", m I right?
I use it on-demand.

desolation_row

Jan 30, 2017
Oh boy... I have even created an account after reading all these comments. I could probably call myself 'somewhat experienced' with VPNs so here's my two cents:

1. No VPN provider will be able to protect you if you don't know what you doing.
2. None of the these services, provided by most popular VPN providers (ExpressVPN, NordVPN, AirVPN, PIA etc.) are leaking your IPv4 or DNS servers. If any of those are leaking - it's your fault and problem is not with the service, it's with you. Contact support, usually fix is very simple. On the other hand, IPv6 might leak, so it's better idea to have it disabled on your network adapter. Most VPN services are slow to support the protocol because it requires major changes within their servers and client configs and atm it's not necessary.
3. /r/vpnreviews are not biased? Honest? Dear boys, you are so naive. Reddit is full of people who are hired by companies, promoting the service or attacking competitors. Not to mention that due to the complexity of VPN, experience might greatly vary for people in different locations, with different devices and ISPs. ThatOnePrivacyGuy on the other hand is a rare case of a real deal.

Someone in Wilderssecurity posted absolutely idiotic post some time ago, telling how all VPN services are unsafe, because they provide static shared passwords used for L2TP connections. Attention that post received only shows how many people have no actual clue about how VPN services work and that L2TP is outdated protocol, barely used to cover old devices with no OpenVPN support. No service will recommend to use that protocol in the first place and event then, traffic decryption would be possible only if MiTM would have your credentials.

On my personal opinion, services you should definitely avoid: PureVPN and Ivacy (same horrible company owns these), HMA (obvious reasons) and all VPNs negatively mentioned in this document: http://www.icir.org/vern/papers/vpn-apps-imc16.pdf

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I have been a user of Cyberghost for several years now, have to say that it is one of the best services out there. I am on their special offer plan which only gives me access to 5 or so countries (US, Netherlands, Germany, Romania and Czech Republic) but all their servers (around 20-30 servers per country). It has been good so far as long as you know which servers have more bandwidth (have to guess through trial and error).

I have also tried windscribe, but I have come across a ton of errors, from logging in, to actually connecting to windscribe (I can only connect once per install, meaning I have to uninstall the entire program, reinstall it again, to connect to their VPN servers, I also played around with their settings to see if it helps, no it doesn't). Finally I just gave up and continued using cyberghost.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 55474
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

I think that list is incomplete: My VPN's are ExpressVPN and VyprVPN, and these two is some of the best in the world regarding security, support and many others features. So I voted other.:)
They both got NAT-Firewall etc.;)
VyprVPN got 200.000 IP's+70 Global Servers

Last edited by a moderator:

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
I have been a user of Cyberghost for several years now, have to say that it is one of the best services out there. I am on their special offer plan which only gives me access to 5 or so countries (US, Netherlands, Germany, Romania and Czech Republic) but all their servers (around 20-30 servers per country). It has been good so far as long as you know which servers have more bandwidth (have to guess through trial and error).

I have also tried windscribe, but I have come across a ton of errors, from logging in, to actually connecting to windscribe (I can only connect once per install, meaning I have to uninstall the entire program, reinstall it again, to connect to their VPN servers, I also played around with their settings to see if it helps, no it doesn't). Finally I just gave up and continued using cyberghost.
Hope u know that CyberGhost loggs something to identify u like ur hardware id and others. But its up do u to use a vpn that does logg like this.

http://ddlw.org/img/7i89njnx.jpg

http://ddlw.org/img/0usgahwx.jpg
http://ddlw.org/img/pxn5a7ew.jpg

There's a difference between VPN security and privacy - although it is a grey area since the two aren't mutually exclusive.

I could care less about potential privacy leakage via logging and business records. The only people that would be seriously interested in that kind of stuff is law enforcement and governmental agencies - when they are trying to connect the dots - and they don't give a damn about me.

What's important to me, as a user, is reliability of the servers, speed, protecting against DNS leaks, preventing WebRTC IP leaks, and some advanced features.

What's really important - above all else - is server security. Properly configured and protected. Hacked server = worthless VPN. If the server is hacked, you might as well go online naked.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Hope u know that CyberGhost loggs something to identify u like ur hardware id and others. But its up do u to use a vpn that does logg like this.

http://ddlw.org/img/7i89njnx.jpg

http://ddlw.org/img/0usgahwx.jpg
http://ddlw.org/img/pxn5a7ew.jpg

I think as long as there are no ties to your IP address in a way that with this information you are still unable to fully identify your location or even ISP, then it's not a huge deal that CyberGhost pulls such information out from your PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.