DoNotSpy10
CCleaner Pro
Tweaks for Skype
W10Privacy
SlickVPN *3

toreopp

Thread author
Mar 12, 2016
-Custom settings. All settings set to high + all advanced protection enabled in all programs
This goes for all types of programs, except microsoft/windows. I have a big consern about everything they make and do.

-It should probobly be noted that i have turned off the signed driver requirment for compability.

-Also, windows will not let me install the latest update: KB3140768 (this will crash the pc, make it boot with temporary profile, i then fix the profile and it will revert back sucessfully)

*1: Sandbox (Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing)
*2: new built in ad-blocker (Introducing native ad-blocking in Opera for computers)
*3: Privacy online (Simple to Use VPN Service. Fast and Secure VPN Access.)

please let me know what you think. I would not activate Windows UAC :)

Reactions: DJ Panda

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
It should probobly be noted that i have turned off the signed driver requirment for compability.

Could you introduce some details about why you choose to turn off the default Driver Signing Policy? I could understand this if you were testing a security product whose beta version is not digitally signed, but it seems that even Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta is also digitally signed, so I do not know why you should do this...And you say it is a compatibility issue?...

It seems that you disabled too many built-in security features of windows, including
- UAC
- System Updates
- Smart Screen
- Driver Signing Policy​
I know that different people might have different opinions on the built-in security features of Windows, but I still do not think it is a good idea to turn off all of them...

Last edited:
N

Noxx

You're obviously going for the "Microsoft get off my lawn" approach (which we all sympathize with to a degree). Any possibility to convince you to re-enable Microsoft updates and at least activate selective mode and all the other crucial features Online_Sword has listed? If you were to do that, then your config would be solid.

Last edited by a moderator:

toreopp

Thread author
Mar 12, 2016
Well, i do want to update but i think the new forced update policy is intrusive (wake pc from sleep) + as i wrote over - the update is crashing the pc and they have removed the ability to selectivly choose updates. (and i have corrected the update information, because its accually still running, it will crash my pc if i restart now)

I have disabled the driver signing check because of hardware drivers (sound ect.) that is not signed.

Smart Screen is disabled due to privcy conserns. (sends information about downloaded file to microsoft)

UAC disabled due to privcy conserns.

And i do not see the need of having more programs, because all of the above security programs (malwarebyte, avira and comodo) got on demand capability.

new:
I have just checked update now, and it accually seems they have removed the problem update with the same name KB3140743 (i thought it was KB3140768) so i will try to restart now.
¨
If it works i will be using "selective update"

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I recommend enabling updates. Keep the stuff from Malwarebytes enabled there a great company and I swear by them.
UAC doesn't do anything related to privacy but if you are careful there is no need for SS or UAC

Reactions: toreopp

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Well, i do want to update but i think the new forced update policy is intrusive (wake pc from sleep) + as i wrote over - the update is crashing the pc and they have removed the ability to selectivly choose updates. (and i have corrected the update information, because its accually still running, it will crash my pc if i restart now)

@toreopp , it seems that Microsoft has already released a tool to solve this problem: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 .:)

With this tool, you can hide/show updates like what we can do in Win7/8/8.1 ;) (I have not tested this tool by myself because I do not have a VM running Win10.)

Reactions: silversurfer

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Definitely enable UAC to at least default and I would advise enabling Smart Screen also.Privacy rhetoric is compromising using the built in security features of the OS.
I have been using 10 since July 2015 and since the November 2015 cumulative update have not had any problems with any updates.
The tool to hide updates does in fact work and the one mentioned by @Online_Sword I have tested and can confirm it works.
I would consider some type of system backup solution also.
All in all a good config.Thanks for sharing it :)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I am trying to understand how exactly is UAC tied to privacy concerns.
Smartscreen privacy issues: is not really an issue. Avira also collects user without the user knowing (statistics wise), just like any other solution even if they have the anonymous send user statistics option.

The whole privacy concerns on Windows 10 is just making a big mountain out of a mo-hill.

Its like no one knows that whenever you visit any website, OS info etc is recorded despite users not aware, including browser version. Dont recall seeing an uproar on privacy issues on that.

toreopp

Thread author
Mar 12, 2016
I do not trust microsoft programs. UAC sends telemetry to microsoft servers. I can't trust microsoft because i don't know what i send, and i don't have the ability to turn it off, without disabling service/blocking traffic with my firewall/hostfile.

I do back up my most importent files on an external drive, so i fell covered ;)

And yes, sadly i know i can be tracked by other programs to. I do try to make everything so that its either blocked, turned off or so that i can decide what to send (to use cloud protection ect.).
And to be honest, i trust avira more than microsoft.

Also, when it comes to tracking from websites, i am trying to use restrictive privacy settings. (send do-not-track in adition to adblocker ect.)

Could you tell me a very good reason why i should use compromise my privacy to use UAC. I do use comodos auto sandbox feature as an extra precaution.

pluss, i just tried the new update and it faild on 61% - i guess microsoft is unhappy about me blocking their presious telemetry! :)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
telemetry issues been touched already and how it can be disabled to a certain extend. Search on google and you will find many articles.

Ill give you this advice if you do not trust microsoft programs and are so concerned about privacy: stop using windows and use another OS. Sorry to be blunt.

toreopp

Thread author
Mar 12, 2016
thank you. if that was an options i would have opted for that. but since this pc is also my gaming computer its is not an option.

Oh, and i also found a link to that tool to hide updates earlier (after the update faild again). But thank you for the tip. imay have to use it until i find a time to do a fresh install/or i or they find a fix for us who have problems with them.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
thank you. if that was an options i would have opted for that. but since this pc is also my gaming computer its is not an option.
I am just trying to say the whole privacy issue is being taken one step too far, even across the web with the countless articles about w10.

No offence intended.

You can still dual boot linux and windows if gaming is a main issue. Also, WINE/PlayonLinux will work as well depending on the game.

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
lol ! Tails is soooo slow , you really must be tracked by the CIA, NSA, FBI, X-Files, the Syndicate, S.H.I.E.L.D., Hydra ; to want use it :D

Nah its not slow at all unless you have a slow usb stick.. well surfing the web is a little slower for obvious reasons.. :p

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Not secure, UAC and SmartScreen are needed, Driver Signing Policy not so important but still should be on.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Looks good to me but I think you should enable UAC and Smart Screen filter. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.