Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
New Microsoft Edge
Bitwarden
Windscribe
AdGuard
Maintenance tools
CCleaner (blocked by firewall for internet connection)
Revo Uninstaller
File and Photo backup
MEGA
System recovery
Windows 10 System Image Backup
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
32GB DDR4 3200MHz
512GB SSD
MSI GeForce GTX 1070

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@toto_10 :
  • Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or in cloud services.
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add EmsiSoft Emergengy Kit and HitManPro Free.
Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :giggle:

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
Added:
Windows Defender Firewall + ConfigureDefender + customized settings
HitmanPro Free
New Microsoft Edge
Extensions: uMatrix + Windscribe
MEGA
Windows 10 System Image Backup

Removed:
Kaspersky Internet Security 20
Malwarebytes
Google Chrome

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
I'm inspired by @Umbra to use Windows' own utilities and tools, and minimize my use of 3rd party sofware. It's working very well for me ;)

I have a question about System Backup. I cleaned installed Windows 10. After updating Windows I backed up my system. I then installed all my apps and applied their settings. Now I backed up my system again on the same extern hard drive 500GB, and as I can see my first backup is gone. Is this true? I thought I could have multiple backups on my extern hard drive.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
With Windows Backup & Restore, you're only able to have one system image on the drive by default. However, you can workaround this limitation by renaming the WindowsImageBackup folder to something else.

For example, let's say you make a system image today. Windows will create and store the backup in the WindowsImageBackup folder. Now, next week you want to make another system image. Just rename the original WindowsImageBackup folder to something like WindowsImageBackupOld. Then when you run Backup and Restore, Windows will create another folder named WindowsImageBackup and store the most recent system image there.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

When I use Windows Backup, I put each backup on a different partition.
I don't remember seeing Windows B&R doing incremental, for you to be sure, try to restore the backup, then on the wizard you will see if you have several backup points.

If you want to do differentials/incrementals backup, use Macrium Reflect. Fastest imager alive.

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
@Protomartyr Thanks for your reply. I actually thought about the same. Renaming the folder is a great workaround.

@Umbra Super idea about the partition. Never thought about that one (y)

I have a question about Macrium Reflect. Why does is have 3 tasks running in the background when not even using the software?

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I have a question about Macrium Reflect. Why does is have 3 tasks running in the background when not even using the software?
Macriumservice.exe is is for the service.
Reflectmonitor.exe is for the tasks bar icon and running backup info. It's responsible for the Backup Start dialog and scheduled tasks.
ReflectUI.exe (if im not wrong) is mandatory for running scheduled tasks as System and give interaction when a task is ran in another user account.

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
Why is my WD using 400+ memory? Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Reactions: KonradPL

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
Added:
Kaspersky Internet Security 20
Malwarebytes
Google (search engine)
CCEnhancer

Removed:
Windows Defender Firewall + ConfigureDefender + customized settings
Hitman Pro Free
Qwant
SUMo
TrafficLight

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
Upgraded:
Windows 10 Pro v. 2004

Added:
ESET Internet Security
AdGuard (extension)

Removed:
uMatrix
CCEnhancer
Kaspersky Internet Security
  • It's with a heartbreak I leave KIS. The reason is my internetspeed is dropping by almost 40%. I tried several things to fix my problem but nothing helped other than uninstall.
AdGuard for Windows
  • AdGuard for Windows is as well giving me slow internetspeed by about 15%.
KIS combined with AdGuard for Windows didn't gave me a smooth transition in browsing. I'm now using ESET combined with AdGuard extension and running full speed with an excellent browsing experience. I'm surprised how light, fast and good ESET is. I will stick with ESET atm. and sometime in the future I will tryout KIS again.

KIS, it is not a farewell but a 'see you again' ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.