Serious Discussion Trend Micro problems on live system

Zartarra

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
So I decided to give Trend Micro other go. I have good experiences with Trend Micro in a business environment for a decade but sadly to say the home product is not of the same quality. The product runs smooth, no problems with games or alot of false positives. It has a very low memory and CPU footprint. Fast startup and no slowdows of the system. The bad news is that I have multiple issues with their Payguard module. I detects none of the webshops or financial services. Some functions are not working very well with Mozilla Firefox. If I add the sites manually, it has an issue with auto redirects. It cannot detect in some cases for example http://www.somesite.com/EN if I add http://www.somesite.com/. Some financial services cannot display the login page in Payguard. Also I played with a few keyloggers (in a test lab) and Payguard does not score that well.

Some functions seems to working only with Gmail, Outlook, Google and Bing. The big ones and not the alternative services. So their is room for improvement but the problems can be overcome. The biggest issue I have is their support. I opened multiple calls with alot of details in the summary and the reply mails so they have all the information. And they always send a polite mail back but they ask everytime the same information over and over again *** sign ***.

After the installation of Trend it blocked Cyberlock (Voodooshield). I send the exe files to support even with the link to the site and the result of Virustotal. They replied back with that I have to open a chat with support.

Another thing is that I asked them to reclassify a website from Computer/Internet to financial services. Reply from Trend: we are correct it is still a Computer/Internet category. "No it is a legitimate bank. Surf to the site and you can see it for yourself. Also the institute is registered at the Central Bank". Answer: no no it is a Computer/Internet site. So I gave up that call.

The trial is valid for another 3 weeks so let us see what come next.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
It’s always been problematic Trend Micro. They haven’t implemented any new features in years, they rarely release updates, issues are hanging unsolved for years. It used to be great but now it’s just lighting years behind the competition.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
I gave their Internet Security a go a while ago and although it had a light footprint with good signatures, it slowed everything down from opening Firefox to My Documents.

Not for me(n)

Regards Eck:)

Zartarra

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
I am a patient person ;). So I give it a change and try to solve the problems with support. At the moment none of them are resolved. Now the suggest I need to contact them through chat support and give again for the 3rd time the description of the problem.

Trend rewrite alot of their code (full product is now x64). They released version 17.8 this year and I hoped they solved the problems I had when I was testing it 3 years ago. But it seems there are now new problems. I have the same issue with Firefox. Sometimes even a "Secure Connection Failed" and after refresh it is ok. This is not so userfriendly. So it be uninstalled probably after the weekend and going to test the following program on the testlist.

Reactions: roger_m and Trident

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Trend rewrite alot of their code (full product is now x64). They released version 17.8 this year and I hoped they solved the problems I had when I was testing it 3 years ago
These are the release notes of their scan engine in Japanese, they can be translated with the browser. The engines receive one update every 1-2 years and the rest is not very frequently updated either. Even their pattern files are updated once a day. The product is very heavily reliant on the cloud and AEGIS (behavioural blocking) is good but nothing like wow. Even the home products webpage has been the same 3 years +.
All in all, hard pass.
The product has been x64 for quite some time. A lot of the code hasn’t been touched in more than a decade.

Zartarra

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
These are the release notes of their scan engine in Japanese, they can be translated with the browser. The engines receive one update every 1-2 years and the rest is not very frequently updated either. Even their pattern files are updated once a day. The product is very heavily reliant on the cloud and AEGIS (behavioural blocking) is good but nothing like wow. Even the home products webpage has been the same 3 years +.
All in all, hard pass.
The product has been x64 for quite some time. A lot of the code hasn’t been touched in more than a decade.
Thanks for the info.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.