Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Can find nothing about this company " Simply Super Software "
Even Wikipedia returns "no" results, will keep digging ;)
UK based, their Privacy Policy looks good: Trojan Remover - Privacy Policy
The software is still being updated: Trojan Remover - Recent Program Changes
I think it would be safe to try, they look legit ;)
Just remember to create a backup or restore point,
just to be safe.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I have used Trojan Remover in the past, but it was many years ago, and had forgotten about it until I visited its website just now.

I installed it and ran a scan, which identified two items. You get alerts as soon a something is detected, rather than at the end of the scan.
TR.png
TR2.png
The first one is a service used by a PUP I have installed. The second one is a debug entry used by AVG PC TuneUp's program deactivator.
Tencent PC Manager, and Malwarebytes also flag debug entries from PC TuneUp. I have a number of programs deactivated, and MBAM and PC Manager detect the debug entry for every one. However, since I was alerted when Trojan Remover detected the first entry and chose to exlcude it, I got no more warnings. There were no false positives, which is good. Some of the other trojan removal software I've tried in the last 12 months of so, have had lot of problems with false positives.

When you click on the Scan button, Trojan Remover only scans for active malware, so for example download folders are not scanned. However, there is a scan Folder(s) option to do a custom scan, you can also do context menu scans. I did a scan of one of my download folders. This folder has hundreds of installers in it, including many PUPs. TR detected just 7 PUPs, which is a dissapointing result, considering Dr Web detects over 200 PUPs in this folder. I decided to see how TR fares against malware. I found two very small malware packs I have on my computer, one of which is recent, and the second one from last years. There were only ten files in total, and TR detected nothing.

After testing it, I read the following on the TR website:
Trojan Remover aids in the removal of Malware - Trojan Horses, Worms, Adware, Spyware - when standard anti-virus software either fails to detect them or fails to effectively eliminate them. Standard antivirus programs are good at detecting this Malware, but not always so good at effectively removing it.

Trojan Remover is designed specifically to disable/remove Malware without the user having to manually edit system files or the Registry. The program also removes the additional system modifications some Malware carries out which are ignored by standard antivirus and trojan scanners.

So, to be fair, while the detection rate was poor, it's forgivable, considering it's designed to be used alongside other security software, to pick up things they miss. Perhaps someone else would like to test it as well. It seems like an interesting product, and doesn't seem to have any issues with false positives.

This is a screenshot of TR runnning a scan:
TR3.png

Last edited:

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
I'm just trying it for the first time and it seems pretty good actually. I noticed some Russian AV testers on Youtube using this for a second opinion scan to see if the system is clean so i'm taking a look at it now. I ran a quick scan which took 2 mins and found nothing then I ran folder scan on a usb and it found a few stuff. It found "Malware.gen.hash" on a few junk files which I looked up on Virustotal to have 1/56 detections by Webroot (Heuristic) and some other smaller vendors. So it seems to use hash to identify bad files which is interesting to me. Anyone want to test the detection rate and post a video?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Does it provides real-time protection online/offline? How's its performance vs SuperAntiSpyware Pro?

Thanks

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Does it provides real-time protection online/offline? How's its performance vs SuperAntiSpyware Pro?
It does not have real-time protection. In my opinion it's much better than SAS. But, while it can detect some threats, it is more designed for detecting and fixing suspicious changes to your system, than having excellent detection rates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.