TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Hello, I still have problems concerning my TP-LINK archer d-20 router. Since I bought the first one on Mars, it was losing internet configuration after a period of time, and I had to set it again in 192.168.1.1, as if it was newly bought and not configured. I changed this one with an identical one (it was in warranty) but after a period of time, the problem came again. My computers connected are not infected. Could it be a bug of the whole Archer d-20 routers group?

Reactions: AtlBo

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Yes, I had a netgear from 2013 and, after four years, it broke, and I was unable to configure the internet again. It was a good router though
Alternatively you may install an alternative firmware, but you lose the warranty.
Unfortunately I am not very skilled on that but you can find many guides on the web.

Upvote 0

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
I use TP-Link (TL - RW740N) for 2 years and never had any issue with it. Talking about your Tp-link archer router.... Maybe this issue exists in all routers of this model. Because as you told us you replaced with an identical one but still fails to work well. It can be due to firmware bugs that haven't been fixed in new updated firmware. My advice is to contact their support or replace with another model

Upvote 0

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Hello @venustus . Unfortunatly, the problem is not related to the connection stability but to the router itself. After some days using it (I switch it on and off, and turn off the power only after switching it off) the internet doesn't work. All lights are on, except the internet one. If I access 192.168.1.1, I am asket to set the logjn password (as if it was the first time I configure it) and set all the values. After that, the internet works (until it breaks up again..)

Upvote 0

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
It seems to be a problem related to FLASH/ROM, where the parameters reside and they are not lost at power-off.
I don't know if it is a hardware or software problem, but changing the firmware you have the reasonable evidence of the doubt (software or hardware problem).

Reactions: AtlBo and Venustus
Upvote 0

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I use TP-Link (TL - RW740N) for 2 years and never had any issue with it. Talking about your Tp-link archer router.... Maybe this issue exists in all routers of this model. Because as you told us you replaced with an identical one but still fails to work well. It can be due to firmware bugs that haven't been fixed in new updated firmware. My advice is to contact their support or replace with another model
In the past, I contacted their email support and they told me to replace it with my warranty. Now I reported their facebook page the issue and asked if they could fix it with a firmaware upgrade

Upvote 0

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
It seems to be a problem related to FLASH/ROM, where the parameters reside and they are not lost at power-off.
I don't know if it is a hardware or software problem, but changing the firmware you have the reasonable evidence of the doubt (software or hardware problem).
The old one had a different firmaware (older ones). The problem was present, so I upgraded it when there were new versions hoping to solve it. Nothing changed

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo
Upvote 0

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
The old one had a different firmaware (older ones). The problem was present, so I upgraded it when there were new versions hoping to solve it. Nothing changed
Yes, but I meant an alternative firmware such as here for example, if your router supports it.

The Top 6 Alternative Firmwares for Your Router

The fact that you have asked them if it was possible to release a new firmware version (TP Link) is a good move but I doubt that your problem will be solved.
If it was a software problem, it would be quite severe, and a critical patch was already released from March.

Upvote 0

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Really disappointed. I contacted their support saying that I had already provided to change the router using my warranty having no result at all, using CABS. They sent me the exact copy-paste message they sent me some month ago, saying that I had to change my router using my warranty. They clearly don't read the support request

Reactions: tim one and AtlBo
Upvote 0

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
@tim one I got a reply: Good morning, please don't switch off the router every day, it's made to be kept always on (seems really strange to me). Change it an other time. If the problem comes back again, for security reasons, made a technician check tension and frequence of the electrycal system of the house (this one seems strange also, I don't believe it's due to the electrical system). They clearly refuse a hardware of firmaware problem

Reactions: tim one
Upvote 0

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Uhm ... it seems a strange response.
Ok, I usually do not turn off to my router, but even when you turn off it, you will not lose the network config, the same: electrical problems can actually create RAM problems (volatile memory).
But the settings do not have to delete themself by turning off the router, then obviously, they are not in RAM but in FLASH rom.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.