Solved Trovi redirect

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandieM

Thread author
Oct 1, 2018
Hi...first post here. I have a macbook air, and using Safari, whenever I google something, Trovi jumps in and redirects to Bing. I have read tons of 'fixes' and none of them work. There are no extensions in the program. My home page is set to Google. My search engine is Google. I have deleted all history, cookies, cache and rebooted. I have run Malwarebytes and it didn't detect anything. I have even tried the manual suggestions offered by Apple on their forums, to no avail. I can't get rid of this thing. I have stopped using Safari, but I don't feel safe regardless. I have searched my entire computer for Trovi and bing. I haven't downloaded anything. This started 2 days ago and I have no idea what to do next, other than reset the computer back to factory defaults...which probably doesn't guarantee that it will be gone. Any insight into this would be helpful, because I am at a loss as to where to go next.

Reactions: oldschool

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello,
Welcome to MalwareTips!

Can you please check if there's an AdminPrefs file on the device. If it's there, you should remove it.

1. Go to System Preferences.
  2. Click Profiles.
  3. The list will include an item “AdminPrefs“. Select this and click the remove “” button in the lower left corner.

Did you manage to scan your device with Malwarebytes? - Malwarebytes for Mac — Mac Antivirus Replacement

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

SandieM

Thread author
Oct 1, 2018
Thanks for your suggestions. There is no "profiles" in System Preferences. There is Users & Accounts, of which there is only one account...mine. I have scanned it numerous times with Malwarebytes and it doesn't pick it up.

Reactions: Jack

SandieM

Thread author
Oct 1, 2018
Update...it must have been a new version of the Trovi virus. Malwarebytes finally picked it up and cleaned it today. It only took 3 days, but hey...it worked. I just avoided using Safari in the meantime and went with Chrome.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Update...it must have been a new version of the Trovi virus. Malwarebytes finally picked it up and cleaned it today. It only took 3 days, but hey...it worked. I just avoided using Safari in the meantime and went with Chrome.
Great! Quick question what files did Malwarebytes remove? Can you please check the Quarantine or Reports tab...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.