Trump administration considering banning end-to-end encryption

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Best IT infrastructure, for Crooks!? I mean don't the US already today have enough issues when getting blasted with ransomware attacks and city after city after city goes down.

Good luck and I'm sure this would in the end simply gain more companies, vendors and developers in other countries.

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I'm still shocked that this ##### went through in Australia. Not allowing people to have privacy is a good recipe for tyranny. Germany is thinking about the same idiocy. I'm wondering if they'll bring back the Stasi while they'll be at it...

And they always seem to use terrorism, children and drug dealers as an excuse to push this nonsense.

I just wonder how would all these officials pushing for this nonsense feel if they had to obey same no encryption rules and anyone could easily snoop on their lives. If they were aware of this, they'd never allow this idiocy to go through as a law.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I'm still shocked that this **** went through in Australia. Not allowing people to have privacy is a good recipe for tyranny.
I forgot about that one and yes I agree. It could set a very dangerous precedent, but the possible clash with GDPR will hopefully be tested by the EU.
"For example, companies with European presence are required to handle sensitive data according to the GDPR, and by complying with an Australian order for data that might be located in Europe, that provider could be required to violate the GDPR to satisfy Australian law."

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I forgot about that one and yes I agree. It could set a very dangerous precedent, but the possible clash with GDPR will hopefully be tested by the EU.

Which is extra odd given that Germany had has same dumb ideas. Germany is in EU and as such has to comply with GDPR. Outlawing encryption so they can snoop on users most certainly violates GDPR.

L

Local Host

Which is extra odd given that Germany had has same dumb ideas. Germany is in EU and as such has to comply with GDPR. Outlawing encryption so they can snoop on users most certainly violates GDPR.
The only thing I could find about your claims, was back from 2017 and wasn't about ending encryption, but having malware on terrorists devices to read encrypted content.

The GDPR is to protect EU citizens, not foreigners and terrorists.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I just read about that German idea from 2017 and again, I agree. It's very dumb and even beyond. I couldn't backtrack enough from that article or anything else so for now it seems just a stupid idea. What would possible save people in the EU against a full implementation, is GDPR itself and that Germany is a part of the European Union ( EU ). Germany ain't the Boss of the EU and can't do everything, even if some stupid politicians wish. EU very recently had one country that thought they could do anything with there judges etc and even they finally caved in when the pressure from EU got too hot so no, Germany can't do everything they want. Australia on the other hand ain't a part of EU, even if they are a part of the European Song Contest, :ROFLMAO: but that's another topic.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.