Jan 3, 2012
Other Utilities used/installed:
CCleaner
Revo Uninstaller free
Filehippo Update Checker
Secunia PSI
Panda USB vaccine (autorun disabled)

Firewall: NIS2012
Router: Firewall enabled with allowed only wireless mac addresses for connectivity
DNS: OpenDNS

This setup is on a PC that an older family member uses that doesn't know too much about computers. It is basically used for surfing the web, email, and Facebook things. It seems to work okay, but the NIS2012 subscription will be running out soon and I don't think I will be renewing so open to any and all suggestions for replacement combo's (the less screens popping up the better as the person using this wouldn't know to click "allow" or "block" to something) as well as feedback on current setup.

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
Config looks good. I would suggest the following addons for Firefox:

Consider a backup solution, some suggestions are:

Personally I would stick with Norton Internet Security.

truoc said:
Router: Firewall enabled with allowed only wireless mac addresses for connectivity

Allowing only certain MAC addresses on your network may give you a sense of security and may slow a hacker down but in reality they can be spoofed by a determined opponent.

What type of encryption are you using on your router?

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
DiabloBlack said:
Config looks good. I would suggest the following addons for Firefox:

Consider a backup solution, some suggestions are:

Personally I would stick with Norton Internet Security.

truoc said:

Allowing only certain MAC addresses on your network may give you a sense of security and may slow a hacker down but in reality they can be spoofed by a determined opponent.

What type of encryption are you using on your router?

Thanks for the reply! I guess I thought that allowing only certain mac addresses would keep me safer, but that is not the case? So should I go ahead and disable that option on the router? Also I am using WPA/WPA2 encryption.

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
A determined hacker will do what ever to try and get by your defenses. The general snooper would be considered a non-threat. You can leave the MAC address configuration as is, just remember it isn't perfect and is more of a deterrent . You mentioned that you have older computers on your network so you probably need WPA which is not bad (way more secure than WEP). But if at all possible use WPA2 encryption exclusively.

Really good config.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Very solid config, make sure you get some backup tho ;)

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
If the user that doesn't know too much about computers you can configure its first to game mode or other silent setting or you can set it to remove automatically all treats :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.