Try Rescuezilla! a cold backup solution

malis2007

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 10, 2016
Rescuezilla
Official site: Easy disk cloning and imaging | Rescuezilla (Clonezilla GUI)
It is a free, open-source easy-to-use disk imaging software (it can backup whole/selected drives and restore whole/selected drives)
It can backup your recovery partitions, all installed OS and data if you selected all drives in the backup above ^
in order to use it, you will need at least a 8gb bootable usb flash drive and a separate external HDD to save/restore backups in/from (go to this link for more details/instructions).
It helped me alot with my Asus laptop few months ago; my internal harddrive was failing and i managed to restore everything(including the hidden recovery partition) without issues into my new internal drive.
i highly recommend it :)

malis2007

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 10, 2016
Okay, thanks for sharing. did you try Macrium Reflect?
i think i didn't :unsure:, but i tried Aomei backupper free edition (just after installing a clean windows 10 + my old missing win7 drivers (missing after multiple windows updates) afterwards i followed this tutorial) and had a terrible experience (especially after finishing the backup process of Aomei and restarting my win 10, i started having drivers issues(most were related to intel bus something that ruined my nvidia drivers/display and i couldn't solve the issue eventhough i had said drivers backed up before manually) i wouldn't have noticed it if the resolution didn't change, so i tried uninstalling aoemi and the issue didn't resolve, not to mention that aoemi left files after uninstallation that were difficult to remove and had to reinstall my windows) i don't recall what i tried afterwards but the experience wasn't any better, and i reinstalled my windows each time, it was painful.. :( then i kept searching for a cold(aka when OS isn't running) backup solution and finally found one that doesn't leave residuals on my OS/HDD and was easy to use, i tested it immediately afterwards and it worked flawlessly ;)
to the extent that when i noticed my HDD failing few months later, i didn't fret at all because i had many backups in place :cool:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.